Get my masters or focus on clinical experience/volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abee87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a nontrad student. 25/26 with bachelors in sociology. I work in a hospital on the administrative side of things. Decided its the perfect time to pursue my dream of becoming an internist. Thing is...although my gpa is good...it's in social sciences and I have a way to go before I can make any comment about my science gpa

So I am thinking of getting my masters in health management (considering its what I do now) then attack my med school plans. I wouldn't have to take my GMAT cause my gpa cancels out that requirement. So it would take me a year and a bit to finish that.

Not sure if this is smart or if I should put all my efforts in clinical experience and volunteer to build my application up.

Thoughts? Advice? Take my mcat for me? ....

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to do both. Tons of UGs volunteer and take a course load of 12-17 hrs, so why can't you?

An MS in Health Mgt isn't really going to tell me if you can handle medical school, though.

So I am a nontrad student. 25/26 with bachelors in sociology. I work in a hospital on the administrative side of things. Decided its the perfect time to pursue my dream of becoming an internist. Thing is...although my gpa is good...it's in social sciences and I have a way to go before I can make any comment about my science gpa

So I am thinking of getting my masters in health management (considering its what I do now) then attack my med school plans. I wouldn't have to take my GMAT cause my gpa cancels out that requirement. So it would take me a year and a bit to finish that.

Not sure if this is smart or if I should put all my efforts in clinical experience and volunteer to build my application up.

Thoughts? Advice? Take my mcat for me? ....

You should be able to do both. Tons of UGs volunteer and take a course load of 12-17 hrs, so why can't you?

An MS in Health Mgt isn't really going to tell me if you can handle medical school, though.

Ill be getting my masters while I still work a 40+ hr work week. But I could make more use of my weekends