Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

get ready in 3 weeks?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ironpalm83, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ironpalm83

ironpalm83 New Member

Pre-Medical
    is it possible to get ready for mcat in 3 weeks?
    I have made notes for each chapters of EK 7th edition ..(all 4 subjects)
    what do you all think?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    Take a diagnostic full-length. It's the only way to really see where you are right now.

If you have a solid grasp of the content, 3 weeks is doable.

4. SpartanBlueJay2

Medical Student
    It also depends on how much time you are willing/able to devote to studying. If you were able to study all day everyday for 3 weeks and your diagnostic is already solid, then yeah, 3 weeks is probably sufficient. But if you take a diagnostic test and you find you need some work, or you're like me and work full-time/overtime and can only devote a few hours a day, you'll probably need more than 3 weeks.

5. Psychotropic

Psychotropic Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It is possible. It really depends on how strong you are in the sciences. I only spent three weeks studying for the MCAT (period). I found it more worthwhile to take many practice tests instead of reading the EK books. The only thing you really can't improve in three weeks, is your verbal score. Take AAMC 7 or 8 and see what you score. You can raise your science scores up a couple points in each section between now and then. Good luck!

6. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    Very much agree- and this seems to be the weak point for most of us.

7. Captain Fantastic

Physician

I took the Jan MCAT after 3.5 weeks of study and did alright. You can do a LOT in three weeks.

8. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member

Medical Student
    Getting through the material the first time is the big time killer..With that done, you are basically "on schedule"..Take a FL exam ASAP. It will expose your weak spots and accustom you to passage-based testing. Just review and take FLs from here out.

9. ironpalm83

ironpalm83 New Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah but the thing is i made the notes during the winter break.. back in December... i can't seem to remember all those details...... when i read it i understand but memorizing it is.. a different story...
    any advice? or should i just start with FLs?

10. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member

Medical Student
    start FL's this will tell you how much you need and what you need to improve.
    If you have time to spend all day for the MCAT during those 3 weeks I say it is totally doable. I am myself ging to do the same since i am taking rediculous load of classes now and have little time to study.
    But everyone is different. I was ok with the material review once i had a week off during my spring brake. I went over all of the EK books and now i feel like all I need is FL's and review.
    The thing with MCAT is that most of those details you are going to forget anyways, and they will test you on things you don't know or never seen, so the best tactc is to know how to do these tests, learn how to make educated guesses, how to use the passage etc ect.... and that can be only done with FL practice. I wouldn't read on material at this point. Just do the FL and see what you got wrong and hit those topics each time.
    :luck:

11. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member

Medical Student
    Once you take a few FLs, you will realize you are tested very little on what you've memorized...All that studying mostly applies to the discretes. Good luck!

12. ironpalm83

ironpalm83 New Member

Pre-Medical
    it may sound pretty stupid but.. so you don't have to memorize everything in order to do well? I always thought i wan't doing well because i didn't memorize enough..

13. Psychotropic

Psychotropic Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Think, don't memorize. Ok, well, you do need to memorize, yes. Just know basic concepts and go from there. Get off SDN and go take some FLs already!

14. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    No joke, man! I'm so glad I studied for and took the MCAT long before I ever got sucked into the endless forum-checking addiction that is the Student Doctor Network.

I've got faith in you, but you'll have to put in the time. :luck: