Get the residency you want

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I want to be an orthopod. I want to go DO residency. When doing my fourth year "away" rotation to the site I want to go, should I do an orthopedic surgery sub-Internship or something more general, like Internal Medicine. I ask this because you have to get matched to the Internship first, then the next year go after the orthopedic surgery spot. What is the best method to take?

Members don't see this ad.

All my physician/med student friends recommended to me that I get a "networking" opportunity at the site where I plan to apply for residency. They continued to say that even if the rotation is not in the specialty that i want (i.e. your Ortho Surg Sub-I), that it is key to get known at the hospital (in general).

I havent quite worked on my master plan for that phase of my education (I need about 3 more months and I'll have it down), so I know I'm vague....

I hope I helped a tad-
-A

How many externships are you allowed to do? If you are allowed only one, I would do a sub-i in ortho surgey at the institution you would want to match at. The osteopathic internship is a transitional internship, not a preliminary year in medicine.

The osteopathic ortho surgery residencies are shifting to a combined match. You match for the ortho spot and the internship at the same time. St. Barnabas in New York is an example. If you look at the match list for our school, you will see it as such.

Hey, I noticed a DO/MBA is a contributor to the First Aid for the USMLE Step 2. Is that you?

Thanks for clearing that up. We get to do several externships. (Our whole fourth year is set up that way). I wish that I knew a lot about step II, but it is someone else. Thanks again.