Get to scrub in on my first surgery tomorrow!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen surgery done on TV, but never in person. It should be interesting.

Only....

Its my little golden retriever puppy. Shes 6 months old and getting spayed tomorrow, so I asked the vet if I could watch, and she said sure. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Man, I just hope I dont pass out. I see posts and here people saying the first time they witness something like this in person, they become queezy and pass out. Just hope it doesnt happen tomorrow....

Members don't see this ad.

Chris.. Im an M4.. Here is my advice even though the surg is on your dog..

1) Eat Breakfast or lunch or whatever other meal. Do not skip meals. You can skip them once you are experienced but not before then.

2) Keep some bend in your knees to make sure you get blood flowing to the old cranium

3) If you feel faint grab a seat and if possible raise your feet to the same level as your head if not higher.

Good luck tomorrow and have fun. It is pretty cool. I have never seen a dogs surgery but I have seen a ton on people!

I don't know if this really works, but to avoid passing out etc try to forget that it is YOUR puppy or even a PUPPY for that matter. My suspicion is that it is easier to be overwhelmed if you emotionally identify with the patient.

Fortunately I am an emotionless robot, so this was never a problem for me.

i have seen a fair number of human surgeries (crainiotomies, abdominal surgeries, limb amputations) and from the moment of the first cut i am always too interested to feel the slightest bit faint, however, upon seeing my first dog spaying operation i almost collapsed and had to make a speedy retreat, kinda strange, the dog was pregnant so the vet was pulling out this string of unborn puppies, some reason the dog surgery made me ill and yet i cant get enough of the human version, hah, not that this helps, just thought it was funny