Geting LOR from PI or...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For that research program that I am applying to, I need to submit an LOR from a research experience. I worked mostly under the guidance of one of the masters's degree students there. He taught me everything and really approved of my work ethic. While he was working under the Lab Researcher (with phD), I was more directly involved with the student. He has since earned his Masters Degree. Would it be okay to get the LOR from the student? What should I do? Thanks, as always.

Members don't see this ad.

The letter should be signed by the PI. Students/post doc letters are going to be very weak, regardless of what they write. Their names simply do not carry enough weight.

It is appropriate for letters to be written by a grad student/post doc and edited/signed by a professor/PI. This is how many letters are written as many people are in a similar situation to you, having spent most of their time working directly with the non-PI people in the lab. People even do this for residency.