Gettin In and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex O.

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright.. question.. I am like totally freaking out over my grades this semester (pretty much in my sciences). In organic I currently am pulling somewhere between an 88 and a 94, physics an 88 or 89, genetics not entirely sure but definitely a B. Is this good enough thus far by a decent MD/PhD program's standards. My overall GPA is a 3.9 and I know for sure I will get A's in philosophy and multivariable calculus. Will they look at the fact that I'm taking orgo, physics, genetics, multivariable, and philosophy all at the same time? Could this hurt me or help me?

Alex O. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!

First off, let me say RELAX!!! You DO NOT have to be a "perfect" student with a "perfect" gpa to get into medical school. Sure, you want to keep your gpa as high as possible, but BELIEVE ME, you DO NOT have to have a 3.9-4.0 to get in! There are plenty of people out there (including myself) that got a few C's (yes, C's!!!!) in major classes (like ALL my chemistries) and still got accepted (to multiple schools! :))

What you need to concentrate on is keeping your grades DECENT, but having an overall INTERESTING application. A 4.0 is NOT going to get you accepted (GASP!)...an interesting life, personality, extracurriculars, etc WILL. Sure, the grades and MCAT will get you through the first cut, but it's all the intangibles that get you accepted! Ask any of the old-timers here...there are 1000's of "perfect" 4.0ers that get rejected every year...and plenty of non-4.0ers that get in!

I wonder how many people with true 4.0's, i.e. completed a bachelor's with absolutely nothing less than a flat A, actually get completely rejected...I mean, even at CSU Fresno, that's pretty impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally... if I were an interviewer and someone had a 4.0 in chemical engineering or some major like that... I'd be thinking "I wonder how many professors this person has had to sleep with..."
If you're a chem engineering student with a 4.0, please don't be offended... I'm just saying that a 4.0 in a hard major is really impressive and mind boggling.

Originally posted by none:
•I wonder how many people with true 4.0's, i.e. completed a bachelor's with absolutely nothing less than a flat A, actually get completely rejected...I mean, even at CSU Fresno, that's pretty impressive.•

A biochem major that I knew had not been interviewed as late as March of this year. He and I were both applying for admission into the current freshman class. He had something like a 3.9+ GPA. I only know this because he was obviously upset that I was granted an interview at UF, and he insisted that I know his GPA was higher than mine. My MCAT was even lower than his (by one point). He was pretty rude and could not fathom the idea that I would be asked to interview before him. Unfortunately, I've had this guy trying to one-up me for a while. Thankfully, he's no longer in any of my classes.

HEY

NONE, do you go to CSU Fresno? If you do, would you mind giving me your email address?

Swampman, what can I say other than that good things happen to good people. You obviously deserved that interview.

Originally posted by paisley1:
•Swampman, what can I say other than that good things happen to good people. You obviously deserved that interview.•

Thanks paisley. It's a bummer that I was given thumbs-down by the admissions committee, but my application is stronger this year. I'm lookin' forward to some distant interviews. I haven't traveled in such a long time. Can you believe it's been over 10 years since i've been on a plane!!! That's insane!

Best of luck to you!

No way, ten years?!! You're kidding! Are you at all nervous about flying (what with Sept 11 especially)? I'm a bit afraid. I'm sure everything will be OK though.

Best of luck to you too!

Don't be afraid to fly... I flew on Sept 14th... it was no big deal. The security is so tight! Seriously, no terrorist could get on a plane right now. The sept 11 attacks took off from the two airports with the worst security ratings... but now even those airports have airtight security. Make sure you get there early.

All I hafta say is Thank You God!!! Oh man.. I'm tired of stressing out.

Alex O. :D

Heh, I'm not afraid of flying or terrorists, I'm afraid of the security at the airports :) :)

Adam

Originally posted by paisley1:
•No way, ten years?!! You're kidding! Are you at all nervous about flying (what with Sept 11 especially)? I'm a bit afraid. I'm sure everything will be OK though.

Best of luck to you too!•

Let me tell ya something, paisley...the last thing a terrorist wants to do is get between me and my dream ;) :D . No fear here.