Getting a C after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterJon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a ridiculously hard class right now that I'm pretty sure I'll get a C in (possibly a B with divine intervention)--is it OK to get C's after getting accepted? I heard the rule is "good academic standing," but I feel like that's a bit open to interpretation.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a choice? No? Then the question is irrelevant.

Some schools may ask for a written explanation and you would have to hope your answer passes muster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Normally, "good academic standing" refers to passing all your classes, not being on academic probation, no ethics infractions, graduating on time, etc. So I would guess you're fine.

i guess the question is how low can u go???

does anyone know of anyone who got their acceptance withdrawn because their marks went down?

you'll be fine so long as you don't make any more messes of a similar nature

EDIT:

does anyone know of anyone who got their acceptance withdrawn because their marks went down?

LizzyM has told such stories, so yes, it happens. but not for one C.

you'll be fine so long as you don't make any more messes of a similar nature

EDIT:

LizzyM has told such stories, so yes, it happens. but not for one C.

Do med schools have different levels of acceptances? For example, for a lot of colleges I applied to there were different levels of admission. If you got accepted at a certain level then you didn't need to meet any other requirements, but if you got accepted at another, you could only matriculate after doing a,b, & c.

i'm pulling a C- in pchem after getting accepted last month. I also had to put lots of my extra-curricular's on hold just to make that mark. Could this jeopardize my acceptance?

Do med schools have different levels of acceptances? For example, for a lot of colleges I applied to there were different levels of admission. If you got accepted at a certain level then you didn't need to meet any other requirements, but if you got accepted at another, you could only matriculate after doing a,b, & c.

I don't know about other schools, but I know all I have to do is make sure I have prereqs done (which I already have) and turn in a bunch of paperwork (drug screening, insurance, passport, immunizations, etc).

I'm not familiar with this sort of practice, in general they accept you as you are. You do need to finish whatever course of study you were in during the application cycle, as well as complete any med school pre-reqs that might still be outstanding. I think it's UCLA ? where a few people always have to knock out english credits the summer before they start. you can be accepted without all the pre-reqs in place, but you still have to get them done.

Shut up. Thanks to all who didn't give me toolish answers.

meh, Triage actually makes a good point. If there's not a lot you can do about it, then there's not a lot to worry about. Adcoms understand that sometimes s****y courses just up and bite ya. Just don't foul up a whole semester's worth of work and you'll be fine.

i think its less than a C that matters, at least at my undergrad a C- may have been "passing" but the credits weren't accepted toward your degree

at least its after you have been accepted.

Shut up. Thanks to all who didn't give me toolish answers.
It's not a toolish answer. It's the best piece of advice anyone can give you. If you have no choice but to take the C, you'll find out anyway. What's the point of worrying? Are you going to do something magical to change things? No, then you shut up and move on.

A friend of mine had her acceptance to UBC rescinded after getting two C-s and three Cs in her last term.

A friend of mine had her acceptance to UBC rescinded after getting two C-s and three Cs in her last term.

This must have been a long time ago, as UBC does not release acceptances until May 13ish.

If it was recent, then that's unfortunate to let your marks go after your interview but before receiving an acceptance.

It was last year, not this year.

I received a conditional offer that required me to get at no C grades and maintain a 3.5. But if they just gave you a flat acceptance, I don't see why (or how) they could revoke it. Obviously don't fail anything, and do everything you can to avoid the C. If it happens, it happens, and it might be wise to send a brief letter explaining how it happened, but don't worry too much about that now. Cross that bridge when you come to it, as my father used to say.

Oh, and congratulations on getting in. You're going to be a doctor!

Last edited:
Does anyone have anything to add to this?

It just happened to me and I'm not sure if I should contact the school that accepted me now, wait until later, ignore it, explain myself, or what

I would read the fine print of the acceptance first. One of mine said the acceptance was conditional such that I received no grade lower than a C, while the other said that anything less than a B- required an explanation. The third said nothing. If it says nothing then I just wouldn't worry about it

It says "satisfactorily complete all coursework that you are taking..."
So vague

It says "satisfactorily complete all coursework that you are taking..."
So vague

Satisfactory tends to mean a grade of C, at least at my school, but honestly it might be best if you called.