Getting a driver's license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daemos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they transferable from Canada --> Australia? If not what are the requirements?

if I go to Australia i'm def getting a car and enjoying some of the nice public tracks they have there on my free time =D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it's transferable. One of my friends did it, and he said it just takes a bit of time to adjust to driving on the left side of the road.

I'm pretty sure it's transferable. One of my friends did it, and he said it just takes a bit of time to adjust to driving on the left side of the road.

Well I've driven many RHD cars here that have been imported from Japan...on the right side of the road...so I guess i'm half way to adjusting! Just the turn signal/wiper blade sticks are on the opposite side...so instead of signaling I turn on the wiper blades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely transferable.

I didn't even have to write a test, just went into a test centre, and got my license printed same day.

I would suggest brushing up on the rules though, as they are slightly different; and learn how to drive with roundabouts.

Definitely transferable.

I didn't even have to write a test, just went into a test centre, and got my license printed same day.

I would suggest brushing up on the rules though, as they are slightly different; and learn how to drive with roundabouts.

yea I encountered roundabouts for the first about a year ago in winnipeg...but when I went to calgary for 6 months they were plenty of them in residential areas.

But I should read up on them I had no idea what to do with those.

Is this just for Canadians? or can American licenses transfer?

I'd imagine it's the same deal...although when my brother moved to Seattle for school for a couple years they wouldn't let his license transfer and he had to retake all the tests to get his Washington state license.

On a similar topic, how are the gas prices out in Australia?

Gas has been talked to death by me.

But it varies from state to state with QLD and SA the cheapest. If you're going to compare it with Canada remember the lowest octane in Australia is 91, which is equivalent to the highest octane in Canada. They have essentially banned 87,89 octane because of the pollution factor.

That being said, it was comparable to gas prices in Ontario (when looked at with the correct octane).

I had no idea Canada even had roundabouts. Interesting - never seen one in Ontario before, but they are better then the 4 way stop sign, especially for areas that aren't busy so there's no point in a complete stop.

I had no idea Canada even had roundabouts. Interesting - never seen one in Ontario before, but they are better then the 4 way stop sign, especially for areas that aren't busy so there's no point in a complete stop.

Yea I first saw one in a relatively new renovation of part of our exchange district (at least I believe that's where it was)...some of the newer residential areas in Winnipeg have it as well...then in Calgary there were a few scattered through some residential areas, and then there was even one on one of the major highways had one somewhere too west of Calgary...although I can't remember which one it was. It was in a lower speed section of the highway though.

Confused the crap out of me when I first saw it...yield in and out of this loop...still sometimes throws me off to this date.

Yea I first saw one in a relatively new renovation of part of our exchange district (at least I believe that's where it was)...some of the newer residential areas in Winnipeg have it as well...then in Calgary there were a few scattered through some residential areas, and then there was even one on one of the major highways had one somewhere too west of Calgary...although I can't remember which one it was. It was in a lower speed section of the highway though.

Confused the crap out of me when I first saw it...yield in and out of this loop...still sometimes throws me off to this date.

Its at the intersection of highway 8 and highway 22. To some extent it makes sense, as there was a lot of trucking traffic turning onto or off of highway 8, and a few accidents to go with it. But it does take you by suprise, especially at night, when you're cruising along at 100 and then the speed limit dips to 40 or so out in the middle of nowhere. Most of the traffic circles i've seen in calgary were apparently designed to reduce vehicle speed in residential areas, especially out by signal hill and the garrison woods area.

Is this just for Canadians? or can American licenses transfer?

as an american, i was able to drive on my US license for 3 months. after that i was supposed to get an aussie license, which entailed taking a written and driving test. despite that i'd driven in aus for 3 months i failed the written test. they were small things i missed. they gave me a book to study, but as i was only there for a semester i just continued driving on my us license. noone would know unless i were to get a ticket for something else anyway. i was in SA; it sounds like it may be different in other states though.

when i was there, unleaded had only been banned for several years, though i was impressed that LNG was available at most servos. interesting that they've now banned lower octane fuels.

From the Queensland department of transportation:

When can I drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence?
You are only allowed to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence if you:
  • only drive the class of motor vehicle authorised on that licence
  • comply with the conditions (if any) of your licence
  • carry your licence with you at all times when driving and immediately show the licence and a recognised English translation (if required) to a police office when asked to do so.
When am I not allowed to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence?
You must not drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence if:
  • you have been disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver licence by an order of an Australian court
  • your authority to drive on the licence has been suspended or withdrawn.
To apply for a Queensland driver licence for the same class as your foreign driver licence, you will need to:
  • complete the Driver Licence Application/Renewal form (F3000)
  • show your foreign driver licence and a recognised English translation (if required)
  • show your supporting evidence of identity including Queensland residency documents
  • declare that you are medically fit to drive the class of motor vehicle.
    Note: If you have a medical condition that is likely to adversely affect your ability to drive or ride safely, you are required to show a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are medically fit to drive or ride safely.
  • pay the licence fee.

how bout motorbike licenses?
i'd much prefer a bike over a car

Does anyone know the rules concerning driving in a multi-lane roundabout? single-lane roundabouts are simple enough, but I get confused about what to do when there are 2 or 3 lane roundabouts... anyone else have this problem? lol

For driver's licenses, specifically about the English thing... My mom had trouble renting a car when she went there, because we're from Quebec, and our driver's license are in French only. some places will accept it, while others won't. so having an official English translation would be useful in certain situations (especially if you get stopped by the police or something).

Another thing about the roundabouts... (lol)

I was watching Top Gear Australia, and they showed some roundabouts. One is the worst in the world, called "The Magic Roundabout" (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=e...2895,-1.771197&spn=0.001467,0.004131&t=h&z=19). Australia doesn't really have any roundabouts as bad as that one, which is a good thing. The only big one in Brisbane is the one outside of Brisbane Airport (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=e...131,153.077391&spn=0.002038,0.004131&t=h&z=19), where the airport road intersects with the M1 highway.