Getting a Family Medicine doc to shadow...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOwnage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I know the whole shadowing thing is discussed at length in other forums, and I *hope* this doesn't get transferred out because I want to ask Family Medicine docs directly who work in either their own clinic or in a group setting...

If a pre-med approached you, how would you prefer to be approached for a shadowing opportunity? What method of getting your attention actually works the best?

I ask this because there's a few in my town I want to ask, but I've heard going into their office and trying to speak with them directly is seen as a pain since they're busy a lot. Do you like letters? Phone calls perhaps? My personal physician works for an outpatient center owned by a nearby hospital and there's so much bureaucracy that I must pass through to see him...it's unlikely that I'll get a chance since he's so busy. I'd have to schedule an appointment just to see him, then slip in asking to shadow at the end, which to me seems kinda devious and borderline unethical.

Any help please? it's much appreciated!! :oops:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a lowly allopathic FM PGY 1 so nobody's approached me yet but here's what I did. I was applying to DO schools at the time and quite a few required a DO letter.

I contacted my state's Osteopathic association. They were really very helpful. I told them what I wanted and they emailed me a list of all members in my area and actually highlighted those that were very receptive to pre-meds.

I just started calling their offices and talked to their office managers. I got quite a few call-backs had no problem finding a couple that were willing to let me shadow.

Hope this helps.

I'm a lowly allopathic FM PGY 1 so nobody's approached me yet but here's what I did. I was applying to DO schools at the time and quite a few required a DO letter.

I contacted my state's Osteopathic association. They were really very helpful. I told them what I wanted and they emailed me a list of all members in my area and actually highlighted those that were very receptive to pre-meds.

I just started calling their offices and talked to their office managers. I got quite a few call-backs had no problem finding a couple that were willing to let me shadow.

Hope this helps.

I did the same and one doctor called me back. I suggest mass calling if you want to increase your chances. I wasn't in a very DO friendly area.

Hope this helps.

Darn good idea, Jersey.