Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Getting a headstart on the USMLE in undergraduate?--stupid idea?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SikhSpartan89, Apr 24, 2007.

1. SikhSpartan89

Would it help if I purchased a review book to read from time to time and memorize information for the USMLE? I probably wouldn't retain all of it but every little bit helps. Is this stupid or a good idea? Any thoughts? (I dont have to take MCATs/apply to med school, in med program)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. koennen

koennen Lend Me An Ear

(decided not to be a wisea$$)

So unlike me.

4. SikhSpartan89

lmao...ill assume that's sarcasm. and btw i already got in (MSU CHM class of '15)

5. Wanna_B_Scutty

Medical Student
    You should definitely, definitely do this. And once you arrive at med school, make sure to tell all your fellow M1s about your game plan.

6. SikhSpartan89

could someone give a serious answer? I don't mind people telling me it's the most absurd and stupid thing they've ever heard of. It probably is.

7. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member

Medical Student
    Its called a review book for a reason. They are designed to be used once you've taken a class, or at least concurrent with a course and with supplementary material like lectures and cadavers. You haven't taken any medschool courses, therefore it is impossible for you to review them.

8. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    If you are that anal, work on your people skills instead. It will help, and believe me, you will need help. Good luck.

9. SikhSpartan89

ah....see im in HS so i'm used to seeing 8th graders preparing for the SATs.

10. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Very possibly the biggest waste of time you could think of. Spend the time doing something fun -- because you won't have as much time to do fun stuff when you actually get to the point when studying for the boards will really do you any good.
    Board review books are REVIEW books. Meaning you have to have taken (or at least be taking) the classes to get much value from them. You will have enough time to study for the boards when you get through second year. Chill.

11. QuakerPreMed

Stupid idea? Yes. You will study ten times as long to remember something as in med school when it makes sense. It's the same as studying for some course you're taking next year as an undergrad...nothing will click until you're actually IN the course.

Of course, if you have spare time and it makes you feel better, go for it. I've done dumber things.

12. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides

dude.

you haven't even taken o-chem yet

13. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos

Pre-Dental
    use your time to do something else, when you start med school - then start thinking about the step exams.

14. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    I've

15. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever

Medical Student
    get First Aid... if you are that interested, that will give you a taste of how little of a base you have

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    Have your mum and dad give you a hug tonight...and have them remind you that you are in HIGH SCHOOL...and then have them remind you that you are such a nerd that you don't have a date for prom next month...and then get down on your knees and pray for your soul.

18. Tristy

Tristy BairesYarnCreation @ etsy

Medical Student

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hummmm, what do you think?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    You already got accepted. You have it better (in terms of worrying) than most of us who actually had to go through the application process and the MCAT.

Now, you should take advantage of that and actually enjoy college, instead of worrying about the USMLE.

The only book you should open this summer (if any) is Harry Potter #7.

20. paranoid_eyes

Pre-Medical
    im hoping the OP is being sarcastic. if not, omFg, study for MCAT instead.

ALSO, judging by the "89" in your username im going to venture to guess that you are a freshman in college or, most likely, a senior in HIGH SCHOOL:thumbdown:

seriously....the USMLE???????:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :smuggrin: :eek: :scared:

21. Auron

Pre-Dental
    I'm really looking forward to reading that.

22. BetterNBest

Pre-Medical
    OP,

I don't blame you for wanting to get ahead of the game. But given some quick math; you're not going to take it for another 6 (again, 6) years. You won't understand the context necessary to even study for the USMLE. Much of the language/science that you'd need you haven't even heard of yet. So, don't worry about it bro: go enjoy your life, and worry about the USMLE first and second year of med school...

peace

23. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member

Medical Student
    a. Auron is an idiot.
    b. OP, this is a poor use of your time. If you are going to be that much of a gunner, you should at least be a smart gunner. Practice suturing up raw chicken or something. This does just as well for your desired social isolation, but it won't be as big of a waste of time.

24. gotmeds?

Medical Student
    I think it's a great idea! But why stop there? Shouldn't you start studying for the Radiology boards already?

25. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus

Short answer? No. concentrate on your school work, you'll learn what you need to for boards in med school.

26. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie

Medical Student
    You're in HIGHSCHOOL? :eek:

You don't even know half the basics, how do you expect to study the higher material? That's why you go to college and take the pre-req's etc etc etc.

Troll?

27. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will...

Medical Student
    look at a review book at a bookstore. you wont understand it. if you really want to get a head start, get yourself a netters anatomy atlas and just start memorzing bones, muscles, and nerves

28. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    Uh no. I'm matriculating in the fall, and I'm collecting step 1 materials and people are already looking at me funny and leaving dog poo in my mailbox.

You're in high school. Do things kids in high school do. Play video games. Go to the movies. Taste your first beer. Try to get laid. etc.

29. Tired Pigeon

Resident [Any Field]
    High school?! Am I the only one who smells troll?:rolleyes:

30. MR1

MR1

Attending Physician
    If this is a for real question, then my advice is to start studying for step 1 when you actually begin medical school. NO sooner. In theory your entire pre-clinical years, whether it is only 1 or 2 should be about preparing for step 1. Some start studying later but none start sooner.

I would buy at least one review book, like first aid and study the revelant sections during your classes.

31. Auron

Pre-Dental
    um wtf? :rolleyes: chill out.

32. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance

Pre-Medical
    LOL, this guy is a comedian.

No chance the OP is for real, HAHAH.

33. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white

Medical Student
    Buy a Nintendo Wii. Studies show that people who played video games for at least three hours a week growing up who later go on to become surgeons make less mistakes and work faster than those who didn't (even if the other surgeons were more experienced). I don't remember the link to the article, but google it and you'll see.

Studying for the USMLE now is RIDICULOUS. Get a life and have fun now before you lose it in a few years. The only thing studying for the USMLE now will do is psych you out and cause you to burn out later. Get a girlfriend.

34. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Why do you insist on sabotaging the poor kid? This is clearly not enough prep for med school, especially not if he's starting as late as his senior year in high school.

Why stop at looking through Netter? He should start now by dissecting his own arm, leg, and torso. If he can find a dead body, even better.

No! You know what he should do? He should start tattooing the names of important surface anatomical structures on himself. Showering now doubles as study time! Start by tattooing "Angle of Louis" on your own sternal angle - everything is pretty much downhill from there.

No - judging by his SN, I think he's Asian. Spend time with some Asian kids (preferably bitter, overworked ones), and prepare to be amazed.

35. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    And a gunner is born ...

36. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not sure how the BS/MD program works, but I'm guessing the Op has been accepted into one of those. For the Op, he may be thinking some of the same things that the M1s are when they buy First Aid at the beginning of the year. (hey, I did it too) He's been accepted to med school - true it is a combined program, but med school none the less.
    I think buying First Aid at this point will do you no good. You probably are so excited that you want to get started. If it helps to calm this excitement, remind yourself that you won't be taking the USMLE for five years and it is likely that pharmaceuticals, technology, etc will change in that time. It is also likely that the USMLE will also change somewhat in format, content, etc. Wait to buy your review material till you are pretty sure that the material will be new and relevant.
    Buying it now will most likely be a complete waste of money because most likely you will want to buy a newer copy in 4 years.

Good luck.

37. moto_za

moto_za Member

talking about premeds being nerdy.. ah.. either that or your just a Rappoo from India

38. kidthor

kidthor meep

Attending Physician
    YES!!! Do this!

39. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

here's a pro-tip for dealing with "them internets"

If you ask a yes or no question, "sarcastic yes" = "literal no"

now leave SDN for at least 4 years, thank me later.

40. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

then if the kid ever does get laid, it'll make for great post-coital conversation...

girl: uhh.... who's Louis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh

41. foofish

Medical Student
    Are you serious? When I took it, bothering to bring your own #2 pencil was considered serious preparation for the SATs...really.

42. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

yeah and now I hear these kids like "I got a 2030"

I remember when 1600 was good :( :D

43. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member

Medical Student
    i hadn't read that one yet. Anyhow, I'm glad you edited it out.

44. Quix

Quix Herr Professor
    Moderator Emeritus

Academic Administration
    Nope. Stupid idea. First, make it through the pre-reqs. Pre-meds drop like flies when they realize that the treatment of the sciences they got in HS pale in comparison to the college-level weed-outs. Even APs don't go into the detail of many college courses.

Second, you haven't a clue what you will want to do in your 20's. Human beings are plastic creatures, and the entire point of college is to explore other areas and fields, hopefully finding something about which you are passionate. As a HS student, you aren't there yet.

Third, cracking USMLE books now will be a waste of your time, as you probably won't understand 90+% of what is covered (A&P, Biochem, Neuro, Pharma, etc., etc.), since you haven't had the requisites yet.

Fourth, the sciences you are studying now aren't necessarily static - for instance, most of the college level kids I've talked with still think acid-base is regulated by the Henderson-Hasselbach approach. If you ask them about the physical-chemical approach (Stewart model), you get deer-in-headlights silence from them, despite it being more accurate and intuitive (although more math-heavy).

The bottom line is: enjoy HS, enjoy your summer, and don't try to grow up into a doctor quite yet. Enjoy being a kid while you can.

45. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    So...what are you saying? Indians aren't Asian? Some of my Indian friends would disagree...

Yes, yes...go ahead and laugh now. Wait until you're a med student and doing your cardio unit and are asked to find the PMI on a morbidly obese man. As you dig around under his left man-boob in an attempt to find it, you'll wish that someone had tattooed it on him. Especially if the room is over-heated, and your standardized patient doesn't exfoliate in between his skin folds.

46. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

do you know anyone who exfoliates between their skin folds?

47. aubreytex

It's probably a stupid idea. I assume you haven't even started medical school yet. Focus on the MCAT first, if you haven't already taken it. Enjoy life before you start medical school. :D

48. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    I think he implied that he's accepted to a BA/MD program and thus hasn't even started college yet, but won't need to ever take the MCAT.

49. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster

Non-Student
    OP,don't listen to these guys. They have no clue of what they are talking about. Make sure you buy all the medschool textbooks and read the crap out of them immediately. In fact, you should have been doing this since junior high. If you know the specialty you are interested in, I recomend that you start studying for the board licensing exam RIGHT NOW, don't wait till residency. The sooner the better. Chop chop.

P.S: can I get your girlfriend's number?

Your friend
    Sirus

50. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    Pedophile alert.

Do you actually think he has a girlfriend, nonetheless, achieved puberty?

51. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    He may have built one, like in "Weird Science".:idea:

52. nabs86

Medical Student
    i just read this thread and started laughing so hard that people in the computer lab started staring at me.

NO dont start studying for the USLME! go to parties. make friends. skip class. watch movies at 3 in the morning. eat pizza until you puke. ENJOY COLLEGE!