Getting a job in California as a foreign trained dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hgs203

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow dentists
First of all , I was not sure weather to post this thread on this site or the international dentists site,
I'm a foreign trained dentist with a CA dental license but no US DDS degree. I was lucky(?) to pass the
CA licensure exam when they were allowing foregn trained dentists to apply without US DDS degree.
I had 2 years implant surgery and restorative training at NYU and been in private practice in my home country
for 10 years. I'm hoping to practice in CA and thus looking for ways to get hired.
My questions are
1) Are there any websites or organizations who helps people like me to get hired?
2) Since I'm not a US citizen or green card holder, is it going to be diificult to get hired?
3) How is dentistry in CA?
I would be grateful for kind responses
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1)There isn't a special organization to help foreign dentists, but you possess a CA license so you can use any of the dental job websites.
2)Not hard at all, you are considered skilled, you would need to find an employer first and then get them to sponsor you for a visa. Yes it might be a bit harder to get a job, but sponsoring someone is not that much of a burden.
3)Too broad of a question. CA is a large state. The larger cities are saturated, but the smaller rural and inland communities are better. You should look in a less saturated area where you would find an employer more desperate for a doctor and would sponsor you.

Hi fellow dentists
First of all , I was not sure weather to post this thread on this site or the international dentists site,
I'm a foreign trained dentist with a CA dental license but no US DDS degree. I was lucky(?) to pass the
CA licensure exam when they were allowing foregn trained dentists to apply without US DDS degree.
I had 2 years implant surgery and restorative training at NYU and been in private practice in my home country
for 10 years. I'm hoping to practice in CA and thus looking for ways to get hired.
My questions are
1) Are there any websites or organizations who helps people like me to get hired?
2) Since I'm not a US citizen or green card holder, is it going to be diificult to get hired?
3) How is dentistry in CA?
I would be grateful for kind responses
Thanks

1) the only way you will get hired is by gaining an employment with a corporate dental office (eg. Western Dental) or at a dental school (or get married to a US citizen).
2) Yes, it will also depend on Labor Certification availability, and your country of origin to process your papers. Most likely you will be requesting either a H1-B or a Green Card (I-485, I-130) through your employer. You may or may not have to pay all of the costs involved, including the legal fees.
3) Dentistry in CA is completely saturated (especially in ethnic areas). There are so many dentists including local and foreign grads, so it will be a tough market. Search for "dentistry in California" in these forums, and you will find a lot of views on that topic. If you are independently wealthy, then I'm sure you'd be able to support a dental office without going through a financing company.