Getting a job while reapplying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamburgerHelper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on one waitlist this year :confused: and it's certainly possible I will have to reapply. After talking to some schools and advisors, I was told to essentially not do a postbac or masters program as my grades are all right. I already took the MCAT this past April. I have a BS in Biological Anthropology. Consequently, I was told it might be best for me to get a job where I have patient contact. I was thinking a research job or some position in a hospital, but I am still unsure what to do and where to specifically go. For those of you have general knowledge or personal experience, I'd appreciate any advice on positions, what types of places to look, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i had a very similar situation myself. i just started asking everyone i knew: my premed advisor, my profs, my employers, etc. if all else fails, you can go to the hospital or medical center near you and ask to speak to a dept you're interested in.

in general, a research assistant job would be ideal because you can get patient contact and research in one go. you could become a clinic assistant as well if that job is available.

HamburgerHelper said:
I am on one waitlist this year :confused: and it's certainly possible I will have to reapply. After talking to some schools and advisors, I was told to essentially not do a postbac or masters program as my grades are all right. I already took the MCAT this past April. I have a BS in Biological Anthropology. Consequently, I was told it might be best for me to get a job where I have patient contact. I was thinking a research job or some position in a hospital, but I am still unsure what to do and where to specifically go. For those of you have general knowledge or personal experience, I'd appreciate any advice on positions, what types of places to look, etc. Thanks!
Many hospitals have research opportunities among others available to pre meds, especially those who hold a BA/BS degree in the sciences. They are great for patient contact. It is best to have previous clinical experiece though. Some of those jobs can be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey HamburgerHelper,

I had to reapply this cycle, and I worked as a medical assistant at a local family practice. Not only I got the patient contact experience, but I also got a really good look at the "healthcare situation" :barf: (and something to talk about at the interviews), and a stellar :oops: LOR. GL!

I reapplied this past cycle...I had to look for a job in order to use up that extra year between graduation and perhaps when i would start.

I began with my pre-med advisor and told him of my situation and if he happens to know of anyone in my area that i could talk to about a job or possible situations in which they could give me so i could be a better applicant (ECs). From there, I contacted those people and also talked to local hospitals about volunteering and also searched local universities for research tech jobs.

In the end, the contacts weren't able to help me too too much aside from good advice. I volunteered at a local hospital for about a month, before i wound up getting hired at a local university as a research tech. I held my job for about 1 year and 2 weeks....i quit yesterday. It can be done...and i say by all means do it.

I reapplied and I had to find a way to get some more clinical experience in the meantime as well. I already had the research position on my very own project but I decided to end that because of issues I was having with the lab. Even though I graduated with an engineering degree, one of my ambitions was to be a personal trainer, so I got certified and worked with a gym that specialized in weight loss for obese patients. It has probably been one of the most fun years I've ever had and I met some extremely interesting and cool people I never would have otherwise met. I got paid well for my time and was accepted into several med schools this year in the meantime.

I'm not saying that you need to do the same as I did. My point is that there are plenty of opportunities for paid clinical experiences and not all of them are the standard CNA or hospital research paths.