Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Getting a little nervous

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by drbrowneyez, Dec 22, 2008.

1. drbrowneyez

Pre-Optometry
    Hi all,
    I sent out my applications a little while ago and I just wanted to get some feedback on what you all think. I'm applying to SCCO, UCBSO, UHCO, NOVA and NECO. I havent heard back from anyone yet and I keep calling the schools to see what's going on but they just keep telling me "We are still reviewing your application." I know some people have already gotten interviews and others have already been accepted. Needless to say I'm freaking out so I was hoping someone can give me some honest feedback.

Here are my stats

GPA: 2.9 (from a very competitive school with biology major)
    OAT: TS - 350 AA - 340

Applied to SCCO OCT. 1, NECO and NOVA Nov. 15th, UCBSO and UHCO Dec. 10th.

Any advice or am I just screwed?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. preopt2012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i think you applied little late. NECO takes about 1 month and because of holidays, it will take longer. NOVA I applied in September but they didn't receive my OAT score till October 15th because of some screw up. They said it takes about 2 wks to 2 mths. I don't know about the others.

4. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    UCBSO has a 3.0 GPA minimum, and SCCO MAY as well, but don't quote me on that. Of course it is way too early to freak out about UHCO... but as far as the other schools, they may just be backed up. It's natural to be freaking out, of course, but you could always just send out more applications.

Something from SCCO's Official facebook group from Dr. Munroe: "We do send denial letters out right away to applicants who have no chance to qualify academically during the season which is always due to low GPA. We don't send out most of the denial letters until the season's close (March 30th)."

Sorry, I know that probably isn't the best thing to hear, but something people should know.

5. oceanblue392

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    SCCO definitely does have 3.0 GPA cutoff. I have a 2.99 and Dr. Monroe notified me that is holding me back from being qualified for an interview.

6. pienfoo

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    i assume you're either from ucla, cal, or ucsd.
    Your OAT is pretty good, but probably not great enough to offset that 2.9 gpa. Also, regardless of your AA/TS score, anything below a 300 is also horrible to have on the OATs. When I was applying I called almost every school out there about how they view an applicant in terms of GPA, OATs, and quality of undergrad. Simply put, you want a 3.0 or better. 3 is the magic number. Your GPA is the most important factor in determining whether you'll get an interview or not. Fortunately you applied pretty early so I say there's still a good chance you'll be given an interview. When your GPA is low you need 1. killer OAT and 2. great resume including internships/work experience/ leadership/ research/ community service.
    As for the schools you applied to, you will be rejected by SCCO because of their ironclad 3.0 min GPA and no score below 300 requirement (you can thank Dr. monroe for that). Berkeley is probably the most competitive school to get into with gpa avg of 3.5+ and OAT avg 370+. I'd say you have close to 0 chance of getting in, unless you're from ucb. NOVA and NECO are toss-ups. I know that if you get great recommendations from UHCO alum or anyone else affiliated with that school you generally have a good chance of getting an interview. There's still hope, but i'd apply to more schools and prepare to beef up your app for nxt year. g'luck!

7. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Just to clarify the bolded statement, you can't have an AA, TS, or RC score below 300, but a sub-300 score in the other sections won't automatically get you a rejection.

I agree with the rest of the statement though... you should really start applying to more schools or get ready for next year's application cycle. At least be prepared for the worst.

8. drbrowneyez

Pre-Optometry
    Ok everyone just to let you know, I have some good news. I got an interview invite for NOVA today! yay! I'm just glad to hear back from someone because I was getting totally depressed. Thanks so much for everyone who replied.

I know a couple people had mentioned about the 3.0 minimum GPA requirements for SCCO and UCBSO. I just wanted to let you know that I called both schools before hand to see if I should even apply and both said that I should because I was right at the borderline. I talked to Dr. Munroe and she did tell me straight up that its because of my GPA that I wasn't called right away for an interview but that I should still sit tight and see what happens.

As for applying to more schools, I was considering applying to Indiana. How many more schools do you think I should apply to? I'm so confused. :(

By the way I just thought I should mention that I'm kind of old (lol not really but im almost 25 so waiting another year is not really an option for me at this point). Oh yeah and I do have a lot of extra curricular activities and 3 years of work experience with an OD.

Any feedback?

9. blysssful

blysssful SUNY c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
  10. Pre Opt Student

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I think that once you get an interview at Nova, you have a really really really high chance of being accepted. I think they accept most the people they interview so if you are happy with nova then there probably isnt any need to apply to other schools.

11. pienfoo

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    hey congrats!! it's great news.

Some tips for your interview.
    Unlike alot of other schools, NOVA doesn't have a defined "list" of questions that they ask. The question are solely dependently on what the interviewers (i had two - make sure to pay equal attention to both of them and KNOW THEIR NAMES) feel like asking. It is also an open file interview, so they'll definitely ask you about your grades/drops, and anything else that raises a concern.
    It is NOT true that you'll definitely get into nova if you're given an interview because i know of a handful of well qualified applicants who got rejected after their interview. My advice is to prepare for it REALLY WELL. They'll definitely start by asking you how your trip went, and ask that you tell them a little about yourself and how you became interested in optometry. Since you're out of state, they'll ask how you'll handle living so far away from home. Personally I prepared a whole folder of interview questions and info about the school. Also, treat the ENTIRE time you're there like an interview, not just the 30 min or hour of time of the actual interview. This means interacting with other applicants, guides, ***********FRAN, and ask questions (don't ask stupid questions or questons that you should already know the answers to). simply put: relax, smile and be positive = acceptance. g'luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Good luck on your upcoming interview. I think you will probably get in SOMEWHERE. Your stats are average and that's fine. Just relax, be yourself, and be informed during your interview and you will do fine.

As for your age thing, you are not too old. A lot of people in opto and other grad schools take time off from undergrad. I was 25 last year when I applied, didnt get into the school I wanted (dreaded waitlisted!) and applied again this year. Now I am 26 and going to be in the entering 2009 class. Lucky for you it doesn't seems that you wholly have your heart set on one school or another. I did so it was worth me giving it one last try either way. The way I see it, I have a great job, making good money, average stats, why not wait for what I really want? If you get in somewhere and you dont mind-- go. If you have your heart set on somewhere-- wait. Then you won't kill yourself in the future w/ the "what if's."

Off topic I know. Good luck.