1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

getting a LOR from a professor from outside college

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jillzhou, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jillzhou

7+ Year Member

After taking Physics 2 in the summer at a different college, (about 2 years ago) I feel the professor would be able to write me a good rec considering I scored an A after visiting his office hours and asking him countless questions. The guy is a genius, and very down to earth nice guy. My question is..is it too late to contact this professor? The school I currently go to is known to have not so good recs from professors/pre-health committee..have any of you done this before?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Absolutely. If the professor has previously taught you in a course then he is certainly qualified to write you a letter of rec, regardless of whether he teaches at your current institution or not.

4. CityLights

7+ Year Member

Sounds like he's a great choice.

5. pkwraith

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It is a little late if you're talking about getting a LoR for this application cycle. You typically want to give the professor a good few month notice.

If you're asking whether 2 years is too long, then not really. If you think he still remembers you, get into contact. Sooner rather than later.