Getting a Masters and studying for the MCAT at the same time: good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMD2be

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bonjour!
Looked for a similar thread, but did not find anything so I thought I would just ask: I am planning on taking a full year to study for the MCAT, and I thought that I could just add another year and get a MA ( psychology). Is it a good idea or should I just stick to a BA and not taking risks of damaging my GPA?
Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m currently getting my masters while studying for the MCAT, and while it does feel overwhelming at times (mainly during exam weeks) I feel that it is 100% doable as long as you’re good about planning ahead. You also have to remember what’s important to you too. Obviously my ultimate goal is to become a physician so I’m going to put more of my time and effort into studying for the MCAT rather than my master’s courses (but also not to the point where it compromises my grades).

Reactions: 1 user
Bonjour!
Looked for a similar thread, but did not find anything so I thought I would just ask: I am planning on taking a full year to study for the MCAT, and I thought that I could just add another year and get a MA ( psychology). Is it a good idea or should I just stick to a BA and not taking risks of damaging my GPA?
Thanks for any feedback!

What are you hoping to get out of the master's in psychology?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you hoping to get out of the master's in psychology?
Well, maybe my way of thinking is just plain silly, but since I will most likely take a year off to study for the MCAT, I thought that adding another year and obtain a Master’s could be a smart choice.... but, I have read and received advice from people who were able to study for the MCAT while getting their BA/BS, I guess I will see where I stand in 2 years.

Last edited:
@DOMD2be

I did and I don't regret it at all. I also worked full-time on top of that. I am actually really happy that I did. I learned an incredible amount of discipline that I am sure will come in handy for medical school.
I will even get a boost to my GPA when applying to DO schools :)

To add, I would not take an additional year off just to pursue the MS/MA. Take a gap year if you want, but unless you need GPA repair or significant experience, I wouldn't take 2 years if I were you.

I worked as an MA and studied for about 6 months. I think that doing something is good (dedicated volunteering, work, school)-- personally I'm glad I did work, because it was different sets of "brain skills", if that makes sense. But, if you enjoy learning about psych it could be a good option for you!