getting a masters to better my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexyDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone ok well my gpa kinda sucks and dats hmmm not to good either. I was planning on gettin my masters in psychology to better my chances of gettin into dental school. I heard when you get a masters they look at that gpa mostly and not your undergrad. Any suggestions? thanx:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be snarky, but this question gets asked a lot. Try a search. :)

a MA in the sciences could show case that you can handle a rigorous course load (if you don't have good grades in your sciences classes now, you will want to prove that you can handle them)

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly agree that getting a masters is one of the best methods of improving your chances of getting into d-school if you have a mediocre undergrad and DAT, HOWEVER, a masters in psychology sounds like a bad idea.

If your ultimate goal of getting a masters is to improve your chances of getting into d-school, then I suggest getting a masters in Biology, Biomedical engineering, SMP, i.e. something that is highly concentrated in the biological sciences. Your masters is your chance to prove to the d-schools that you can handle a heavy load of science classes and succeed.

Why are you considering a masters in psychology versus one in the biological sciences?

What about a masters in something like health promotions?

hmm well i have a minor in it and i feel like class wise its just more intresting to me. lol, but do you think they will really not like it vs a masters in something in bio

sexyDMD,
Please understand that I'm giving you a non-biased factual response. I was only referring to a masters in psychology in regards to how it will be perceived from a dental school admissions board.

Here's a few problems of spending 1 or 2 years pursuing graduate school in psychology:
1- AADSAS will not apply psychology courses towards your science and BCP gpa. Therefore, if your science gpa is around 3.0 or lower, then the psychology degree will not increase it what-so-ever.

2- The 1st year of all d-schools is concentrated on anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, etc. A psychology degree will not help you prepare for any of these courses, nor does it give any indication to the d-schools of your ability to handle them.

3- The psychology courses will not help you boost your DAT score.

4- Letter of Rec from from psychology profs may mean little to d-schools.

Heck, I'm just a stranger on the internet. Did you call any d-school admissions offices and got their opinion?

If you want to get a masters in psychology for your own personal benefit and interest, than that is a completely different conversation.

In my opinion a master’s degree in the “natural sciences” would be more beneficial.

"hmm well i have a minor in it and i feel like class wise its just more intresting to me"

If that's the way you honestly feel, then are you sure dentistry is the right choice for you? I would never choose to sit in on a psych class over ANY science class. You should have a love or at least an interest in the sciences to become a dentist.

That is not totally true. Although I respect your opinion, on a regular day basis, being a dentist has little do with the "natural sciences." It has more to do with understanding the procedures you are performing, having a significant interest in your patients health, and the relationship (psychology) that you have with that patient. If you have a true love for the natural sciences, being a research scientist would be much more up your alley. Just a thought.

With that being said, with how dental school admissions and dental school is run in general, it is much more beneficial to get a masters in the hard sciences rather than one like psychology. This will prove you can handle classes that are very similar to d-school.

The procedures you are doing are based on medical science. Medical science is based on natural science. Having good interpersonal skills is important, but not more important than being technically and academically proficient in dental MEDICINE. Ideally, you should have an appreciation/love for the sciences on all levels, from basic through procedural. I couldn't imagine someone doing all the science undergraduate classes and not having a love for it. This is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree:).