Getting a PhD in environmental chemistry and now want to attend dental school...

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Im currently a second year PhD student in environmental chemistry. Unfortunately my idealistic and wrong perception of a professor's job duties has quickly changed as I have realized they work way too much. My brother is a 3rd year dental student and loves it. Im now realistically considering a track change. Anyone have experience with this? Any idea about how a dental school would view an applicant that changed tracks from a Phd to a DDS?

Thank you for your help.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Im currently a second year PhD student in environmental chemistry. Unfortunately my idealistic and wrong perception of a professor's job duties has quickly changed as I have realized they work way too much. My brother is a 3rd year dental student and loves it. Im now realistically considering a track change. Anyone have experience with this? Any idea about how a dental school would view an applicant that changed tracks from a Phd to a DDS?

Thank you for your help.

Can you apply for your master's degree or does the school only grant PhD for your enviromental chemistry degree? I know a fellow who will be completing his PhD and applying this year. However, just because they work "too" much and dentists done, per se, you should base that on your decision.

gogobruin

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I had same experience as urs. I was in phD program in physical chemistry. After one year, I figured out working with computer was not my dream career, so I decided to drop off from that program and received my master. I did hesitate and being sad in the beginning, because I was always good at chemistry. However, I think I made a good choice, because I enjoy volunteering at hospital, and I had a great time in anatomy class. Just spend time to stink what u really want to do for the rest of ur life! Good luck on everything!:love:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.