Getting a Residency for USIMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey I wanted to know how the prospects for residency look for USIMG's who graduated from medical school in Pakistan. I just have a few question if you could please answer them

Ok so I was born in the US and did all my schooling up till college (undergrad) in the US and now am deciding to go abroad to study medicine in Pakistan and then come back for residency in the US.

1. Lets hypothetically say that I get a 95 percentile or around a 240 on my step ones and do equally well on the rest of them. Plus do electives here in the US and publish like 3-4 clinical studies in America during the summer when not in medical school. Do I have decent prospects of getting a residency in Surgery (especially neurosurgery or cardiac surgery)? where I want to go?2. When it comes to residency does it matter what foreign college did you go to. For example I have a choice between two colleges in Pakistan King Edward Medical College and Allama Iqbal Medical college, both are well respected but the first has been around for along time and is better regarded. So I'm asking does it matter whcih med school you went to or is it regarded as the same?

3. In Pakistan people go to medical school without undergrad so the time I should graduate I will be 23 years, Will my age have any adverse effects on me getting residency here in the US?

4. Please tell me the reality regarding USIMG's getting residency in Surgery and Why I should or should not go to a foreign med school?

Please give an in depth reply.

If you have any links to information released on USIMG's please post them as added information. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.