Getting a residency with LOW scores!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amm1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get a residency in family medicine. With my scores, 210(step1), 200 (step 2 CK) I think rural programs will be better as they are less competitive according to my understanding. Anybody has info regarding how picky program directors are when it comes to scores. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get a residency in family medicine. With my scores, 210(step1), 200 (step 2 CK) I think rural programs will be better as they are less competitive according to my understanding. Anybody has info regarding how picky program directors are when it comes to scores. Thanks!

While your scores are below the average, if you passed the first time on both you will be surprised at the looks you get, especially if your application is strong in other areas.

If you are a FMG, you may have some trouble that a US grad would not, in my experience.

I do not know for sure but I believe some of the rural/unopposed programs to be of a higher quality education and are in general more competitive than an urban residency...but maybe that's just me?

Members don't see this ad :)
While your scores are below the average, if you passed the first time on both you will be surprised at the looks you get, especially if your application is strong in other areas.

If you are a FMG, you may have some trouble that a US grad would not, in my experience.

agree 100% with the above response. our program looks through all our applicants. if you have a good application and passed all exams on the 1st try, you should get interviews.

with those scores you should be fine with FM,

My scores were in the same ballpark - passed the first time, but scores below average (213/90 Step I, 207/86 Step II). I thought I would not get many interviews (I'm a US citizen attending a Caribbean school). I did my core rotations in the UK and am doing my electives in the US.

I applied to 59 programs - many rural w/ a few University programs thrown in for good measure (and a few long-shots). Sure, I got several rejections - but I ended up getting more interviews than I could afford to go to & was offered a prematch at a program in Minnesota (which I took).

Most Family programs told me that they were more interested in your dedication to FM, your compassion for the underserved, LORs from American Family docs, and your ability to pass exams on the first try. Make sure you have a strong personal statement and are genuine/friendly/interested at your interviews, and you should be fine for family medicine.

Last edited: