Getting a surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
These kinds of posts are annoying, but I'm kinda clueless about what it takes to get a reasonable residency in general surgery. I go to a P/F school for 1st and 2nd years, passed everything, got a 239 on the STEP 1, did some summer research in anesthesiology/surgery/cardiology (it was about A Fib, so it kinda cuts across specialties) that led to a presentation at a national conference. However, due to an average shelf score, I think I'm bound for a PASS in my surgery rotation. Hmm. I'm also a little older.

Anyway, I know there are annoying. I'm just wondering what it really takes to get in a general surgery program.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

goldie said:
These kinds of posts are annoying, but I'm kinda clueless about what it takes to get a reasonable residency in general surgery. I go to a P/F school for 1st and 2nd years, passed everything, got a 239 on the STEP 1, did some summer research in anesthesiology/surgery/cardiology (it was about A Fib, so it kinda cuts across specialties) that led to a presentation at a national conference. However, due to an average shelf score, I think I'm bound for a PASS in my surgery rotation. Hmm. I'm also a little older.

Anyway, I know there are annoying. I'm just wondering what it really takes to get in a general surgery program.

Thanks.

With your stats, you will get in somewhere. YOu might not get in to a school of your choice, but you are otherwise money. Just apply to a lot of programs.

goldie said:

Thanks.

a pass in your surgery rotation is not helpful. your 239 on step I, and research experience (hopefully there is a publication lurking somewhere) is helpful. try to get the best letters of reference that you can.

like the other guy said, just apply widely and be flexible. the big board score, and some nice letters can make up for other areas of your app.

good luck.

Do your sub-i early and really kick ass. Make sure you get great letters. It won't make up for your P in your surgery clerkship but it can help quite a bit.

Just to clarify, the above advice is meant to maximize your chances at getting into a top residency. If you want a reasonable residency, not necessarily at a major academic institution, you're fine as you are right now.