Getting all my materials together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cashmoney805

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm starting to get my books and whatnot to start studying for the MCAT. I'm gonna go with the EK books and def a lot of practice exams. I read the topics with all the opinions of different prep methods and it seems like EK is right for me. I'm a little worried that it may not be enough though. It seems like they are VERY concise. Is that a good thing or not really? My girlfriend is getting the Kaplan books, so I may go to them if I need some extra detail. Those of you that used EK, do you think they had enough in them or were too concise? Also, if anyone has suggestions for other books or opinions, please feel free to share. Thanks.

Edit: Oh yea, and what are your feelings about the 1001 books? I know Verbal 101 is a must have, but what about the others? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm starting to get my books and whatnot to start studying for the MCAT. I'm gonna go with the EK books and def a lot of practice exams. I read the topics with all the opinions of different prep methods and it seems like EK is right for me. I'm a little worried that it may not be enough though. It seems like they are VERY concise. Is that a good thing or not really? My girlfriend is getting the Kaplan books, so I may go to them if I need some extra detail. Those of you that used EK, do you think they had enough in them or were too concise? Also, if anyone has suggestions for other books or opinions, please feel free to share. Thanks.

Ok, do you remember nearly everything from you prereqs? If so, then EK is good. HOWEVER, if there is a subject like say nervous system that you never really covered, then it isn't sufficient. EK with Kaplan you should be ok. I have the EK books and I like them. However, they are BRIEF, and if I didn't have a strong background I wouldn't feel comfortable. I have the big Kaplan Book which is the same as what you get with the class, minus the end of section questions. It's more detailed so they will supplement well. BR is the best, but it seems you're not interested in them. I would suggest getting the PS books and doing the passages.

Are they too brief though, like they leave out things that will show up on the exam, or are they brief in the sense that they don't include every single detail for everything. Brief is good but only if it still has everything that could show up on the exam.

the EK books are brief in the sense that they dont' include every single detail for everything. it all depends on your background on the subject. you should go subject by subject and determine whether you remember stuff you see in the books.

the 101 verbal book is a must have and a lot of people suggest the 1001 bio book. the rest of them are up to you if you want more practice for the discretes