Getting AMA internships AOA approved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CentralSerous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how or if one can get a straight AMA IM internship (say at Johns Hopkins) AOA approved?
What does it take? $$$, doing FP with your electives, etc?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to do a pedi residency, but would like to practice in FL. DOes anyone know how difficult it is to get an allopathic internship AOA approved? What hoops do they make you jump through?? Would it just be easier to do an AOA traditional rotating first? If so, can I apply to both at the same time during my fourth year?

WOW, reading that back to myself just made me realize how lost I am in the whole process. :eek:

macman said:
I read the above link and am now more confused than before-I do not think the are clear at all about what the requirements are!

These are the core requirements:

That is, to be eligible for AOA internship approval of ACGME training the osteopathic physician must complete all six of the traditional rotating internship’s core rotations: 2 months internal medicine, 1 month emergency medicine, 1 month family practice, and two additional core rotations (internal medicine, surgery, female reproductive medicine, pediatrics, family practice, or emergency medicine).

You also have to demonstrate involvement in osteopathic professional activities. Read the resolution 42 application packet for more details.

--David

if all of those are really requirements then how does anyone get the first year of a peds program approved?? or is it impossible?

drusso said:
These are the core requirements:

That is, to be eligible for AOA internship approval of ACGME training the osteopathic physician must complete all six of the traditional rotating internship’s core rotations: 2 months internal medicine, 1 month emergency medicine, 1 month family practice, and two additional core rotations (internal medicine, surgery, female reproductive medicine, pediatrics, family practice, or emergency medicine).

You also have to demonstrate involvement in osteopathic professional activities. Read the resolution 42 application packet for more details.

--David

I guess my confusion stems from the two additional core rotation bit: so does that mean you could do two addiitonal months of IM to satisfy that or does it have to be different things? I will be doing a IM pre-lim year that will likely include one month of ER and I suppose I could do FP as an elective month.

macman said:
I guess my confusion stems from the two additional core rotation bit: so does that mean you could do two addiitonal months of IM to satisfy that or does it have to be different things? I will be doing a IM pre-lim year that will likely include one month of ER and I suppose I could do FP as an elective month.

It has to be something different. You'll also have to work-in a month of peds or surgery or something. They want it to be as broadly-based as possible. You find it helpful if you asked a traditional rotating internship Program Director to help you interpret the resolution.

Below, the AOA has set this criteria in order to get AOA approval for an ACGME internship. How hard are they on this criteria? This seems to be the most difficult thing to get past? What has been everyone's experience thus far? Thanks

1.) The applicant maintains intern/resident membership status in the AOA.
2.) The D.O. documents limitations to entering an AOA-approved internship
because of one or more of the following reasons:
a. Physical or mental disability or handicap which precludes the
satisfactory completion of an AOA-approved internship.
b. Legal restrictions which require the D.O.’s physical presence in a
state or local area where AOA-approved programs are not located.
c. Acceptance of a non-AOA accredited primary care training
position based on a federally designated health profession shortage
area (HPSA) where no AOA-approved programs exist.
d. Participation in a medical specialty or subspecialty in which no
available AOA-approved programs or positions exist.
e. Unusual or exceptional circumstances, not included in a-through-d
above, which limit AOA-approved training opportunities.