Getting an ACGME internship year approved by AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessij11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...

My husband and I are applying through the allopathic couples match in peds and IM, respectively. I intend to try and get my internship approved by the AOA after the fact. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on this matter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

jessij11 said:
So...

My husband and I are applying through the allopathic couples match in peds and IM, respectively. I intend to try and get my internship approved by the AOA after the fact. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on this matter?

Thanks!

I have heard so many things both that it is easy to get it approved and that it is hard - So I don't really know what to believe. I do know that if there is a program that has daul accreditation and you match into the allopathic side of it - the AOA will not approve it even though you are doing the exact same rotations as the approved slots. This happened to an alum from my school in Michigan.

Another thing I have recently learned is that even though I may be able to get the intern year approved in a categorical anesthesiology program at U of MIch - they are not allowed to rank me because their CBY is not officially accreditted by the AOA.

This is a link about how to try to get your internship approved. I guess wherever I end up I will try to get it approved, if it doesn't work - I will just make sure I never live in any of those 5 states.

http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42

good luck - I too would like to hear any info others have on the subject....I have used the search fxn for this before and don't remember there really being a lot there.