1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting an LOR from reseach mentor in different field

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by GuyWhoDoesStuff, Jul 28, 2011.

1. username456789

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did research between M1/M2 and ended up publishing a first author paper and getting my name on another paper. I am now applying to a different field unrelated to this research I did, and I am wondering what the utility would be in trying to obtain a LOR from him for ERAS. As I understand it, you usually end up sending 4 LORs . . . is it worth using one of these to send a LOR from someone you've never worked with clinically and only on research projects?

Thanks. For some reason I really don't know what the consensus on this kind of thing is.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Send it. In fact, if that paper is going on your CV as I assume it is and you're the first author, it will kind of be expected that your mentor writes something nice about you. The goal of the letter is different too - it's not about the clinical side of things but how you are on the research side of things. Get that letter son! :)

4. username456789

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I talked to my PI and he's more than happy to write me a strong research letter, but he did tell me I should consider the fact that no one in my chosen field will know who he is (they probably would if I was still applying to his specialty). I've done less research with my newly chosen specialty and would not really be able to get a research letter out of it, which is why I chose him in the first place (more of a "GWDS did a good job with research" than a "GWDS did a good job with research in my particular field").

Will this be significant? I'm applying to a pretty small field, and I'm sure a lot of applicants will have specialty-specific research and research letters, but I figured any research letter is better than none? Or would it be better to get another clinical letter from my chosen specialty?

5. Miss Alyssa

Miss Alyssa Member
    7+ Year Member

Bump

just to confirm, it IS appropriate to get a letter for ERAS from a research mentor? (I did one of those year long research fellowships)

6. Valadi

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes. It is appropriate. Unless you can get 4 excellent letters from big names in your field I would definitely send it.

7. Miss Alyssa

Miss Alyssa Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks!

8. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree. I'd say it's more than 'appropriate'; it's a great idea. I think it's better to have letter writers who know you well and can speak reliably to your good qualities (within reason - no one wants to hear from your boss from your high school job). I obviously wouldn't trade a research letter for one from a well-known member of the relevant field, but how many people are really having to make that choice? Very few, and if your fourth LOR is either from a research PI or famous staff, then you shouldn't worry because you're either such a stud (or well connected) that your competitiveness is already off the charts.