Getting an LOR from reseach mentor in different field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research between M1/M2 and ended up publishing a first author paper and getting my name on another paper. I am now applying to a different field unrelated to this research I did, and I am wondering what the utility would be in trying to obtain a LOR from him for ERAS. As I understand it, you usually end up sending 4 LORs . . . is it worth using one of these to send a LOR from someone you've never worked with clinically and only on research projects?

Thanks. For some reason I really don't know what the consensus on this kind of thing is.

Members don't see this ad.

I did research between M1/M2 and ended up publishing a first author paper and getting my name on another paper. I am now applying to a different field unrelated to this research I did, and I am wondering what the utility would be in trying to obtain a LOR from him for ERAS. As I understand it, you usually end up sending 4 LORs . . . is it worth using one of these to send a LOR from someone you've never worked with clinically and only on research projects?

Thanks. For some reason I really don't know what the consensus on this kind of thing is.

Send it. In fact, if that paper is going on your CV as I assume it is and you're the first author, it will kind of be expected that your mentor writes something nice about you. The goal of the letter is different too - it's not about the clinical side of things but how you are on the research side of things. Get that letter son! :)

Send it. In fact, if that paper is going on your CV as I assume it is and you're the first author, it will kind of be expected that your mentor writes something nice about you. The goal of the letter is different too - it's not about the clinical side of things but how you are on the research side of things. Get that letter son! :)

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I talked to my PI and he's more than happy to write me a strong research letter, but he did tell me I should consider the fact that no one in my chosen field will know who he is (they probably would if I was still applying to his specialty). I've done less research with my newly chosen specialty and would not really be able to get a research letter out of it, which is why I chose him in the first place (more of a "GWDS did a good job with research" than a "GWDS did a good job with research in my particular field").

Will this be significant? I'm applying to a pretty small field, and I'm sure a lot of applicants will have specialty-specific research and research letters, but I figured any research letter is better than none? Or would it be better to get another clinical letter from my chosen specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump

just to confirm, it IS appropriate to get a letter for ERAS from a research mentor? (I did one of those year long research fellowships)

Bump

just to confirm, it IS appropriate to get a letter for ERAS from a research mentor? (I did one of those year long research fellowships)

Yes. It is appropriate. Unless you can get 4 excellent letters from big names in your field I would definitely send it.

Agree. I'd say it's more than 'appropriate'; it's a great idea. I think it's better to have letter writers who know you well and can speak reliably to your good qualities (within reason - no one wants to hear from your boss from your high school job). I obviously wouldn't trade a research letter for one from a well-known member of the relevant field, but how many people are really having to make that choice? Very few, and if your fourth LOR is either from a research PI or famous staff, then you shouldn't worry because you're either such a stud (or well connected) that your competitiveness is already off the charts.