Getting an M.Sc. after M.D.... Crazy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already been accepted to medical school, but I'm also thinking about getting an M.Sc. in the environmental field afterwards.

Am I utterly insane? Are there any jobs out there for medical doctors with training in environmental research (e.g., public health), or would this be too impractical and a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

First, wrong forum.

Second, if you say "e.g. Public Health," why not just get a MPH? It makes more sense for one.

I've already been accepted to medical school, but I'm also thinking about getting an M.Sc. in the environmental field afterwards.

Am I utterly insane? Are there any jobs out there for medical doctors with training in environmental research (e.g., public health), or would this be too impractical and a waste of time?

no it's not crazy at all...I know plenty of people who are pursuing a masters in public policy or business or something completely unrelated to medicine simultaneously with their MD (usually after 3rd year) - the joint degree option is common with a lot of med schools

I think there is not enough focus on environment/societal issues in most med school curricula (Harvard Med is different, but, well, that's Harvard Med), so the dual degree would definitely help you if you want to work in that area

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not crazy at all, but I would recommend trying to earn the degree while in medical school (ie, between 2nd and 3rd year). Taking time off between med school and residency can make it more difficult to match, especially if you're doing something non-clinical.

Just my two cents...

if you mean environmental sciences as in ecology and evolutionary biology etc, one field of medicine that really comes to mind is infectious disease b/c a lot of diseases are carried by flies or other organisms or poisonous plants, etc or like AIDs began in monkeys and also for the evolutionary part a lot of the treatment of the diseases depends on anticipating the evolution of the pathogen etc as it develops resistance to your pharmaceutical medication/vaccine, etc. but as someone else suggested, i'd try to do it simultaneously with med school or at least cut down the time. Also, if this is what you are looking for I really don't think an MPH will do anything for you.

Yes, and if you are lucky the NIH might even payoff your tuition.

I think that if you want to get a master's degree in something after your MD you should just do it... it wouldn't take that long and you should do whatever you want to do!

Its not crazy at all, but I would recommend trying to earn the degree while in medical school (ie, between 2nd and 3rd year). Taking time off between med school and residency can make it more difficult to match, especially if you're doing something non-clinical.
I had a friend who graduated from UChicago medical school, took 3 years off to do something completely non-clinical (not even related to medicine), and came back to a pathology residency at UChicago.

Is this person the exception to the rule? Would a 3 year hiatus completely screw up the average applicant's chances of matching into a top position?

Is there a such thing as deferring your matched residency for X number of years?

This is at JHSPH isn't it.

I'd say get an MPH. It's more flexible.

This is at JHSPH isn't it.

I'd say get an MPH. It's more flexible.

I've looked at many places including JHSPH, but I'm thinking something more on the pure science side like JHU DoGEE. MPH is great, but probably not as much research emphasis as M.Sc. I like how many programs accept MCAT in lieu of GRE.

I had a friend who graduated from UChicago medical school, took 3 years off to do something completely non-clinical (not even related to medicine), and came back to a pathology residency at UChicago.

Is this person the exception to the rule? Would a 3 year hiatus completely screw up the average applicant's chances of matching into a top position?

Is there a such thing as deferring your matched residency for X number of years?

Programs will, on occasion, defer residency placement - generally for 1 year and for a substantial UNEXPECTED reason (ie, you or a family member are seriously ill, you get pregnant, etc.). Deferring because you decided to do something else, especially for more than 1 year, is generally not smiled upon, especially when it would be likely that you would have known about the potential for wanting to defer at the time of interviewing. Residency is different than medical school.

As for your friend, sure there are always exceptions and you'll note that I didn't say it was impossible to get back into the system, its just harder. Pathology may be more inclined to take someone who is a bit "different", outside the box, etc. than more patient oriented fields.

If you are a toeing the line type, you don't take time off after medical school (at least not more than 1 year) and you don't do something non-clinical. But if you are willing to take whatever small chance there might be that a program will frown about the time away from clinical duties and the definite degradation of clinical skills, then go for it. Most books and faculty members I imagine would say the same.

Heck, I'm a bit of a risk taker myself but I think you need to go down any path with all the information available to you - if you decide that doing the degree after medical school and either trying to defer or put off residency matching is worth the risk, then do it. Just don't act suprised if some programs look askance at being removed from medicine for a number of years or laugh at your request to defer residency for 3 years.

Given the above, I see no reason no to do the MPH or other degree during medical school - ie, take a break between 2nd and 3rd years or during residency. Residency programs will often allow this as well; if you choose to do it between medical school and residency, that's fine - you certainly wouldn't be the only one and no one is saying you won't get a fine residency. But in some places the time off is a red flag so you had better make sure your application is tight everywhere else.

Just my four cents..

I talked with some fellows who said that after your residency some places will allow you to get a M.S. while doing your fellowship for those 3 years. Might be something to think about...