Getting an MBA during FP residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a resident starting and completing an MBA program during residency? I am really interested in doing an MBA after graudating from med school and wanted to know if this is possible during the PGY-2, PGY-3 years.

I couldn't imagine a program encouraging this, but if they do, does anyone know of any? I am interested in FP :love:

I would prefer to be in a classroom instead of being online, and some programs require 4 evenning hours a night (tues/thurs).

Any suggestions? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to speculate just to give you some feedback. If your residency schedule is somewhat stable (I would assume mostly FP is during business hours) you might look into an executive MBA at a nearby university. Most of these programs require some work experience so if you have done PGY-1 then you might be able to pull it off. I also doubt that a PD would support it but it could not be an issue either.

BrettBatchelor said:
I am going to speculate just to give you some feedback. If your residency schedule is somewhat stable (I would assume mostly FP is during business hours) you might look into an executive MBA at a nearby university. Most of these programs require some work experience so if you have done PGY-1 then you might be able to pull it off. I also doubt that a PD would support it but it could not be an issue either.

I actually have looked into an EMBA program at a local university, and the schedule is pretty good, except for the fact that you need to take off 2 Fridays a month for the weekend classes for a duration of 20 months. I don't think I'd be able to get away with that! But I was thinking of maybe taking one or two night courses until I finished.

I also noticed that with the EMBA, they assume that you have a corporate sponsor, and the degree would be about 100K as opposed to an MBA that is roughly 36K at the same university. Why the big jump in prices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...check out md-mba.org
They are redoing the site but they have some links to Physician Executive MBA programs that a few places have that consist of only doctors. I know Tennessee has one (I dunno where your residency is) but you might be able to find some info on there.

dr_almondjoy_do said:
I actually have looked into an EMBA program at a local university, and the schedule is pretty good, except for the fact that you need to take off 2 Fridays a month for the weekend classes for a duration of 20 months. I don't think I'd be able to get away with that! But I was thinking of maybe taking one or two night courses until I finished.

I also noticed that with the EMBA, they assume that you have a corporate sponsor, and the degree would be about 100K as opposed to an MBA that is roughly 36K at the same university. Why the big jump in prices?

The price is justified by allowing the individual to work during the process of earning the degree rather than defering two years of income to attend school on a full time basis. The class schedule is designed to fit with many corporate flex time work schedules that allow people to work nine extended days in each two week cycle in return for every other Friday off. In addition, the EMBA program assumes that many of the students are employees on their way up the ladder in some large organization and hence the deep pockets corporation is willing to shell out big bucks to credential their up and coming star. All nonsense but that is how the game is played.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I do not believe you will learn anything of value in the degree program since the MBA is mostly busy work. You might want to consider saving your money and looking at other options that will earn you additional valuable job skills.

'other options that will earn you additional valuable job skills."

please enlighten us, which are those other options?
thank you very much.

dr_almondjoy_do said:
Has anyone ever heard of a resident starting and completing an MBA program during residency? I am really interested in doing an MBA after graudating from med school and wanted to know if this is possible during the PGY-2, PGY-3 years.

I couldn't imagine a program encouraging this, but if they do, does anyone know of any? I am interested in FP :love:

I would prefer to be in a classroom instead of being online, and some programs require 4 evenning hours a night (tues/thurs).

Any suggestions? :confused: :confused: :confused:
wow im skeptical, my brothers in his rads residency and hes busy as hell, there is no way on earth i could imagine him adding an mba onto that load. i dont know about FP residency though. i think it might be better to just do it full time after med rather than trying to mix it with residency, but im young what do i know.

peter90036 said:
'other options that will earn you additional valuable job skills."

please enlighten us, which are those other options?
thank you very much.

As an example, consider continuing medical education classes that will allow the physician already in practice to offer additional procedures to existing patients or attract a new set of patients.