Getting an offer for PGY1 position outside of match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sideshow bob

Med school grad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I talked with the coordinator for my Med school today - I am some years post-graduation - and she said it was possible for me to seek a PGY1 position outside of the match. She said that the match is the only vehicle for US med school seniors to find a pgy1 postion, but for those of us who are not seniors, there is this other route toward internship and residency.
Does anyone here know how this works? Sounds like my school will "sponsor" me - i.e put together a package with Dean's letter, transcripts, recommendations, etc. - But how does one go about applying? Is there a vehicle for this type of approach, or is it a matter of calling or emailing individual Residency directors to arrange for an interview.
BTW - I am only interested in positions in psychiatry - ideally west coast, but could include New England.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Sideshow

Members don't see this ad.

There are several options -
If you are hoping for something this July.
  • You can keep your eye out for notices unfilled positions - posted here or other sites.
  • You can see if any of the programs who went unfilled still have positions.
  • You can cold email/call programs as well - but I would think this has a very low rate of response.
For next July 1:
  • You can register for ERAS and apply to programs as if going through the match for next year - but let them know you are interested in a "prematch"/position outside the match if available. If there are no "prematches" available or offered before the rank order deadline, you can still go through the match (if you've also registered for the NRMP.)
Do you have any post med school residency training? would you be eligible to join a program as a PGY2? At that level there may be positions that open up over the course of the year for next year - as people decide to switch programs/specialties/drop out, etc.

thanks Shalom
I would be applying for a position for July of 09. Sounds like assembling and submitting the ERAS application and then also asking about position openings outside the match is the way to go. Thanks for the help.