Getting back after a dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicagoan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I really need some help with a big issue Im facing. I was dismissed during my undergrad for misconduct and had to spend 2 terms out of the university.
I returned back and graduated with a bachelors.

I plan on applying to medschools however, I have a low GPA (3.08). To circumvent this problem, Im currently pursuing a second bachelors at another university and should be done by 2008. Currently I have a 3.65 and have three more semesters to go.

Im studying for the MCAT and will be taking it in September.

My questions are :

1) Do I still have a chance for medschool?
2) How do medschools regard undergrads with dismissal on record?
3) I plan on entering 2008. Do you think I should apply for 2008 or apply for 2009 ?
4) How does AMCAS calculate GPAs from two schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Just keep working hard for the remainder of your undergrad, and maintain a good GPA...and apply very broadly and i'm sure you will get in somewhere. remember that they like those trends. Oh and kick the MCAT's ass too that will be the deal breaker.

2. I am not sure on that one

3. I think you might want to wait for 2009, since you will have a higher (hopefully) GPA by then, and also you need to apply earlier. But hey you might as well if you want to put in the effort

4. I believe they will just average all of your grades together.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

My questions are :

3) I plan on entering 2008. Do you think I should apply for 2008 or apply for 2009 ?

1. Maybe, I really dont know. How long ago was the dismissal. If it was like...2 years ago, ouch. If it was a decade ago, not quite as bad. Still bad.
2. Thats bad news bears - get ready to explain this issue everywhere. dont have an excuse - own up to it and move on.
3. I dont understand how this is a question...'i play on entering in 2008. should i apply for 2008 or 2009?'. You figure it out, thats really up toyou. If you want to go this year, better get that app in soon.
4. AACOMAS/AMCAS do the GPA the same way everyone else does. AACOMAS ignores retakes and only accepts the retake grade. AMCAS will average retakes together. Otherwise its pretty cut and dry. Science for AACOMAS is BCP only. ACMAS is BCPM. While some of you say 'DO is easy! Slackers!' I say 'DO is relevant!". Sorta, I guess. You figure it out and if you flame me for it, go build some confidence elsewhere than the internet :idea:.

I hope this helps, not trying to crush dreams, just trying to be honest. I wish you the best of luck in your application cycle and just remember to relax - it will work itself out.:luck:

You do have a chance at medical school, although with your low GPA (if you maintain a 3.7 at your new school, you'll come out at around 3.4 overall), it might be a challenge. Definatley get a 35+ on the MCAT to put yourself in a good position. Also apply for DO as well as MD to maximize your chances.

Academic dismissal due to conduct will likely be examined in detail. Expect a lot of questions about ethics. Take some ethics classes to prepare for your interview. I had a friend who had stellar undergraduate grades and MCAT, was probably on course to a top10 med when he was caught cheating in one of his classes. He ended up being grilled hardcore at most interviews, rejected to most, but still ended up going to a pretty good school (top50?).

It'll hurt your chances, but it won't be the deal breaker if the adcoms like you enough.

Hi All,

Consider getting a more confidential consult in the subforum at the following link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=268

Whether you have a chance a med school depends on the reason you were dismissed. They have an adcomm member at that site who can better advise you, if you give specific details. Read Sticky #2 before posting.

Hi All,

I really need some help with a big issue Im facing. I was dismissed during my undergrad for misconduct and had to spend 2 terms out of the university.
I returned back and graduated with a bachelors.

I plan on applying to medschools however, I have a low GPA (3.08). To circumvent this problem, Im currently pursuing a second bachelors at another university and should be done by 2008. Currently I have a 3.65 and have three more semesters to go.

Im studying for the MCAT and will be taking it in September.

My questions are :

Your chances of getting into medical school depend on how much time has passed between your dismissal and your application. If you were young and some quality time (during which your were the soul of good conduct) has passed, you should make sure that you grades/MCAT are as high as you can get them and apply when you have optimized your application.

If your dismissal was fairly recent (two years or less), you may want to put a couple more years in on your prep (again being the soul of good conduct) and then apply. In any event, you likely will have to explain how the experience has matured you and how it has helped you become a wiser person (don't do this in your personal statement though).

As for calculated GPA,
Any hours taken after you received your first bachelor's degree and outside of a formal graduate program will be calculated as post bacc work. It will be averaged with your previous GPA regardless of school attended.

Good luck and be positive. If you have truly turned things around, make sure that your application shows this and keep moving forward.

lack of juicy details in this thread disappoints me.