Getting back to Rheum fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alk984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I graduated from residency in 2014 and have been trying to get in to GI ever since. Applied 4 times and even did hepatology fellowship but was unsuccessful in the latest match. Have been working as a community Hospitalist and was thinking of applying for rheumatology next year, but with it getting so competitive, what are my chances? Especially since all my research and publications are GI-related...

Members don't see this ad.

Several reasons. In a nutshell though, as my family has grown and my repeated attempts at GI have been unsuccessful, my priorities in life have also changed. Working as a Hospitalist has been stressful and rheumatology as a science and laid back career just fit better with my future aspirations. I just hope I’m not too late in realizing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never too late!
Get good letters from well known PDs somewhere preferably.
Work on some type of Rheumatology research.
Apply widely and hope for the best!
Good luck

Never too late!
Get good letters from well known PDs somewhere preferably.
Work on some type of Rheumatology research.
Apply widely and hope for the best!
Good luck
Thanks Successor12, I will

Several reasons. In a nutshell though, as my family has grown and my repeated attempts at GI have been unsuccessful, my priorities in life have also changed. Working as a Hospitalist has been stressful and rheumatology as a science and laid back career just fit better with my future aspirations. I just hope I’m not too late in realizing this.
Did you go to a ranked med school and train at a large academic center? If so, then you will likely get a spot, since rheum programs are still thirsty for prestigious candidates. If not, then the previous GI applications and being an older community hospitalist will hurt you.

With that said, if you find a way to get some good letters and somehow get onto a rheumatology project, you have a decent chance. Good luck.