Getting caught with a fake id

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am just wondering. What happens if you get caught. Does this go on ur record? Is it potentially something that will prevent u from getting accepted to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking because you were caught, or because you're thinking of using a fake ID?

So i am just wondering. What happens if you get caught. Does this go on ur record? Is it potentially something that will prevent u from getting accepted to med school?

Did you receive any ticket or anything like this? I'm assuming you're saying you got caught by the cops? If you didn't get a ticket and didn't have a court case, I wouldn't think it would show up. I guess you will know for sure if you do your criminal background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking because you were caught, or because you're thinking of using a fake ID?

Excellent question. I didn't think of it that way..but re-reading his post, it sounds like he is perhaps using one now, and has yet to be caught...

I know that it is a felony in my state, so say good bye to your chances at medical school if you get caught with one. It's not worth risking your future for a six pack.

If you get caught, most bartenders and bouncers will just take away your ID and the police will never be involved (at least in the city I live in). If actual cops are checking I wouldn't use it.

Is alcohol worth your future? In many states, depending on the circumstance, using a fake ID is classified as a misdemeanor. However, it can also be prosecuted as perjury (and thus a FELONY) if you knowingly sign on an offical ID medium a name that is not your own.

If you get caught, most bartenders and bouncers will just take away your ID and the police will never be involved (at least in the city I live in). If actual cops are checking I wouldn't use it.

:thumbup:

What if the id has your name on it? That's what kind of scares me. They can track it down.... So what would the penalty for that be?

What if the id has your name on it? That's what kind of scares me. They can track it down.... So what would the penalty for that be?

LOL YOU USED A FAKE ID WITH YOUR ACTUAL NAME ON IT?!?!?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA :smuggrin:

oh god. sorry. i am calm now. carry on.

Just don't use it. It's not worth it.

Haha wow you are joking right?? The whole point of a fake id is exactly that....fake....and by putting your name on it defeats the purpose of a fake id and if thats the case well you deserve to be punished for that haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Not from experience, but most places will tell you to get the hell out of there or just take it away.

Is alcohol worth your future? In many states, depending on the circumstance, using a fake ID is classified as a misdemeanor. However, it can also be prosecuted as perjury (and thus a FELONY) if you knowingly sign on an offical ID medium a name that is not your own.

Errrrr....Perjury is lying under oath...no biggy, you're gonna be a doctor not lawyer =)

Post-Patriot Act being caught with fraudulent identification is much more serious than it previously was. It is a good way to have your name flagged, and earn your way onto the no-fly list. Not the place you want to be.

So if you want to get an idea of the type of penalty you would be facing. You can find this at 18USC Section 1028, Sub-Section 7,8.

" (7) knowingly transfers, possesses, or uses, without lawful
authority, a means of identification of another person with the
intent to commit, or to aid or abet, or in connection with, any
unlawful activity that constitutes a violation of Federal law, or
that constitutes a felony under any applicable State or local law;
or

(8) knowingly traffics in false or actual authentication
features for use in false identification documents, document-making
implements, or means of identification;
"

regarding the possible penalty....

"shall be punished as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) of this
section is--
(1) except as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4), a fine under
this title or imprisonment for not more than 15 years, or both, if
the offense is--"

It is probably an exhilarating feeling getting by with it, but I promise it will catch up to you. Every person I know that has used a fake has either 1) gotten it taken away and forced to make a run for it or 2) arrested. These things never end well. Also, I hope you are not the one making it because that is definitely a felony. If you must use one (which there would be no reason) definitely use a different name.

I personally feel the charges would be less if it is the real name..this way ur not "stealing someones identity" It has a real picture on it and stuff...

Ask yourself this: is using a fake ID worth either giving up on a career in medicine or making it much harder for you to get into medical school?

Most names are fake on a fake ID (hence Fake ID) so you are not stealing any identity. You are falsifying one. Are you using someone else's ID that looks like you?

I personally feel the charges would be less if it is the real name..this way ur not "stealing someones identity" It has a real picture on it and stuff...

You are attempting to misrepresent your document as a government document, in this case a drivers license. You have a clear criminal intent of obtaining alcohol or gaining entry into an establishment which serves alcohol. Since you are attempting to misrepresent your age and pass off your ID as a legitimate governmnet document, you are guilty of fraud. At the very least if you are caught with it, you may still be charged with counterfeiting a government document, also a felony.

This is my fake id:

fake_id.jpg

...lol. you're not stealing someone else's identity when you make up a fake name either. either way, you're distorting the fact that you're under 21. It's not worth it and if you get caught, the cops are gonna be way worse than seth rogen and bill haider in SuperBad. Make some friends older than 21, and wait your turn till then.

If I were you I'd ask myself if it is worth it to waste the best years of my life to get into a **** job.

If the cop is a dick, it's technically identity theft if you're using someone else's ID that looks kinda like you. Most cops in college towns just take them away and will hit you with an MIP or MIC. If you have it made with your picture and your info on it, I'm not sure how that works, because unless they run your name, they wouldn't know the difference.

Getting caught with them is pretty hard though, you only real pull them out getting into a bar or at a bar. So if you're ever in a situation where a cop asks for ID, don't fork over the fake.

First of all, why would you use your real name??? I hope you weren't thinking about putting your address on there as well...

Anyways, from personal experience, a bouncer will just take it away and kick you out of the place. Just don't make a big deal about it, and get out when you've been made.

you have to put your real name on a fake ID. it's against the law, could be a felony and be charged with ID theft that's why. most clubs, bars don't care, but if a cop sees it they'll give you a ticket. If you have a fake name on it and the cop knows that you're owned. Other than that you can fake your address and everything else as long as you don't put down a fake name.

In my state, possession of a fake ID is a Class 1 misdemeanor. If used to purchase alcohol, it's an additional Class 3 misdemeanor. Plus, use of a fake ID was grounds for expulsion from my school.

It ain't worth it. Make some friends who are 21. Nothing like getting fined, possible jail time, and getting kicked out of college to make you look like a stellar med school applicant.

Seth: McLovin? What kind of a stupid name is that, Fogell? What, are you trying to be an Irish R&B singer?
Fogell: Naw, they let you pick any name you want when you get down there.
Seth: And you landed on McLovin...
Fogell: Yeah. It was between that or Muhammed.
Seth: Why the **** would it be between THAT or Muhammed? Why don't you just pick a common name like a normal person?
Fogell: Muhammed is the most commonly used name on Earth. Read a ****ing book for once.

Haha, I just noticed he signs the name McLoving.

Felony in Alabama. I have a friend who became a felon at eighteen because of it.

Be aware also that if you get pulled over and the cop asks to search your car (if they're one of the douches that actually does that), if he finds your fake ID, you're effed.

So if you do get a fake ID, be extremely careful; you're extremely unlikely to get caught by the cops, but if it happens you're screwed. If you are convicted of this, you WILL NOT, EVER, get into any allopathic medical school.

Be aware also that if you get pulled over and the cop asks to search your car (if they're one of the douches that actually does that), if he finds your fake ID, you're effed.

So if you do get a fake ID, be extremely careful; you're extremely unlikely to get caught by the cops, but if it happens you're screwed. If you are convicted of this, you WILL NOT, EVER, get into any allopathic medical school.
Cops are not legally allowed to search your car without a warrant. There's actually a lot they're not allowed to do. Read up on it.

OP: In a potentially bad enough situation it could damage your chances. It's fairly unlikely, so gauge if you're desperate enough to go to a bar at the potentially small risk of making 4 years of hard work (undergrad) worth nothing and starting over.

it is also a felony in illinois, where i live. that being said, i got a fake id when i was 19 and used it successfully for two years. i was only once questioned on it, and i managed to ace so pissed off that the doorman gave it back to me (although he told me to never come back to that bar). i have known a handful of people caught with them by police, and i dont think a single one was actually charged with a felony (the ids were just taken away). if you do manage to get charged with a felony, however, you are totally screwed - not just for medical school apps, but with getting any kind of a decent job.

Cops are not legally allowed to search your car without a warrant. There's actually a lot they're not allowed to do. Read up on it.

I am, in fact, aware of that. However, 90+% of people do NOT know this and/or buckle under the pressure being applied by a cop. So for 90+% of people, this would be a real concern.

It seems there are pretty mixed opinions. I heard that it is a legally worse to have a fake name since that might be considered identity theft or something along those lines.

However, as far as the consequences go, I'm sure it's very dependent on where you live and how much of a jerk the cop is. My friend was drunk in public and when a cop asked him for his ID, he accidentally gave him his fake. The cop was pretty nice and only gave him a disorderly conduct ticket and he even gave my friend his fake back. I'm sure it would have been much worse in a different situation.

:thumbup:

For some reason the first thing that comes to mind is the intro to that old song by Jkwon tipsy - "Teen drinkin' is very bad - but I got a fake id tho!"

I don't know what the penalty could be, but you're probably just better off having someone the right age buy you the booze and not meddle with the fake. Probably less risky. Of course as long as you're not drinking in public or somewhere where you could be caught and prosecuted for underage drinking. Use your common sense.

What about people who use other people's IDs. Its funny how you can't get into trouble doing something like that (or so I hear)

This is untrue. In fact, this is WORSE, as you can be charged with identity theft.

How can that be proven though.. let's say you walk into a bar with your buddy's ID.

How can that be proven though.. let's say you walk into a bar with your buddy's ID.

I'm not sure where the ambiguity comes from. You walk into a bar, walk up to the bartender and try to pass yourself off as someone you are not. Regardless of whether or not your buddy said you could do it, this is still identity theft; the "theft" doesn't have to be malicious in order to still be illegal.

This is, of course, my lay interpretation. If Law2Doc or anyone else who actually know what he or she is talking about would like to chime in and correct me, please do so! :)

I'm not sure where the ambiguity comes from. You walk into a bar, walk up to the bartender and try to pass yourself off as someone you are not. Regardless of whether or not your buddy said you could do it, this is still identity theft; the "theft" doesn't have to be malicious in order to still be illegal.

This is, of course, my lay interpretation. If Law2Doc or anyone else who actually know what he or she is talking about would like to chime in and correct me, please do so! :)

I get what you're saying.. but typically fake IDs have a "fakeness" associated with them. A bouncer with a keen eye can tell them apart.

Realistically, do you think the bartender/bouncer will turn you down if your ID looks legit though? I doubt they'll have the confidence to suspect/report you. It's never happened to anyone I know... but I know of people who've used fake IDs who've been caught.

I get what you're saying.. but typically fake IDs have a "fakeness" associated with them. A bouncer with a keen eye can tell them apart.

Realistically, do you think the bartender/bouncer will turn you down if your ID looks legit though? I doubt they'll have the confidence to suspect/report you. It's never happened to anyone I know... but I know of people who've used fake IDs who've been caught.

I can't answer that question, as I'm one of those crazies who actually waited until I was 21 to drink :p My inclination would be that the worst that could happen would be that they kick you out but not take the time to report you to the police, which is really all you probably care about. But again, you just have to ask yourself whether or not the miniscule risk of losing any chance you might've had to practice medicine is worth getting into a bar/club/whatever.

Wow after reading these posts I can't believe how stingy the cops and the system in the States is. I am from Canada and even though the legal drinking age is 19 in most provinces, having a fake id has never been a huge issue for anyone. If one is caught with a fake id usually the bouncer takes it and rips it up there, if a cop finds it usually they will try to scare you and let you go. Nobody really cares if a 17 year old is trying to get into a club, theres more important things to worry about like the gang wars and real crimes, so I don't know why its such a big deal in the States considering how high the crime rates are in certain areas. You would think the cops have better things to do than worry about some 18 year old university kid trying to get into a club....