Getting cold feet, what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranzformer

Varg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my application several weeks ago, but to a mistake on my own I thought that AACOMAS was verifying my gpa as soon as they got my transcript. A long story short, I have finally realized that they will do that once they get my application. Now I feel like an idiot since I just lost 3 weeks worth of time and now I am looking at the end of Nov. to be verified if I submit now. I am getting cold feet, wondering if I should really submit since it is so late in the cycle. My stats aren't that great, 3.72 and 24R but I have had a lot of community service, leadership and research experience. I have done all this work with my personal statement and working on the AACOMAS and feel like I owe it to myself to apply, but I would hate to do all this work and get no invities. Would be better just to wait until Aug. and submit then. What should I do? Any encouraging words?

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my application several weeks ago, but to a mistake on my own I thought that AACOMAS was verifying my gpa as soon as they got my transcript. A long story short, I have finally realized that they will do that once they get my application. Now I feel like an idiot since I just lost 3 weeks worth of time and now I am looking at the end of Nov. to be verified if I submit now. I am getting cold feet, wondering if I should really submit since it is so late in the cycle. My stats aren't that great, 3.72 and 24R but I have had a lot of community service, leadership and research experience. I have done all this work with my personal statement and working on the AACOMAS and feel like I owe it to myself to apply, but I would hate to do all this work and get no invities. Would be better just to wait until Aug. and submit then. What should I do? Any encouraging words?

Submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I am more afraid of the unknown. What happens if things don't turn out the way I want them to?

I guess I am more afraid of the unknown. What happens if things don't turn out the way I want them to?

Well then you pick yourself up, figure out what needs to be improved, make a plan, and go from there. If things don't work out this cycle, it won't be the end of your life. If you work hard and present yourself with opportunities, then life has a funny way of working itself out exactly how it should be.

I think Jon Stewart (at a graduation ceremony) said something along the lines of how 15 years ago he could never have accurately predicted where he'd be today and there were times that he didn't know what would happen next. Nevertheless, if he connected the dots backwards from where he is today, it all adds up and makes perfect sense.

Life will never, ever work out precisely how you plan it. Just learn to "roll with the punches" and realize that you can impose your will upon life with a little extra effort and hard work.

Best of luck.

I agree. I had many sources tell me not to apply this year. In the end it is YOUR life. Be in control.

Hit submit, and don't look back.

Your stats are strong even with a weaker-than-desired MCAT score. Make sure you get those secondaries out to your top priority schools first!

Hi Tranzformer:

I am in a similar situation as you as far as the MCAT score & GPA. I even failed five classes as an undergrad, but later went back to school to retake them!

I submitted late, and I will be going on my third D.O. interview this month. I suggest that as soon as you get a secondary, make sure the secondary & LOR's are mailed to the school as soon as possible (less than a week). If the LOR's are not sent to the school promptly, it slows your file processing down significantly...I experienced that at one school. However, if everything is sent to the school promptly, I've have turn-around times of hearing back from the school with an interview invite in one week. There is hope!

My other suggestion is highlight how your many, many experiences will help you as a PRIMARY CARE OSTEOPATHIC PHYSICIAN. Even if you want to later go specialize in something other than primary care, osteopathic schools want to know your first commitments are to (1) the community you serve, (2) primary care, (3) holistic, person-centered, training.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions...

kealaq