Getting C's in both General Chem ..BAD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmp47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to PT school soon and I got a C in both of my General Chemistry courses. How bad will that effect my chances, in general? I am a 3.3 gpa. Any specific schools I should apply to that doesn't look at chemistry as heavily or something to those regards?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA was 3.0 when applying, 2.7 prereq gpa with a C+ in one Chem and a C in general psych and I got into a few good schools and interviews for ~10 schools.

Thanks! makes me feel better! i have no other c's so far other than the two i have in both chems=(

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the time/opportunity to take ochem, some schools will allow you to substitute the ochem grade for general chem. I received a C and a B in general chem, but 2 As in ochem. This improved my pre req gpa dramatically for certain programs. I know a year of Ochem isnt very appealing, but if you have the time it is worth consideration.

Thanks! But I really dont have time! If anything I could do was just retake the second chem or the first? Just improve one of the c's. I defiantly am not taking ochem! haha But now with budget cuts I dont even know if I can retake a class with a c, you need a d. I will have to appeal the board's decision or something.

I got a C in one of my gen chem classes and chose to retake it. I found it wasn't so bad the second time around and it helped my gpa. if that isn't possible, just focus on the other things that can improve your application like the GRE and volunteering stuff. It's not just about grades! :)

yeah i think im goin to try and just repeat one of them cuz i dont have time for both.. but one would really help my gpa!

Got 3 straight C's in my Gen Bio courses (251, 252, 253), B's in Gen Chem and I still got in! Had a 3.1 when applying, and 3.07 prereq gpa. All depends on where you apply, how you present yourself in the interview, and how bad you want PT :).

Keep that overall GPA up, and you'll do fine!

How about W's? How do you think they interpert those on your transcript?

I believe some programs will average out your GPA if you retake a class (instead of taking the latest grade). I would ask the program you are planning to apply to.

Also, I think PTCAS GPA calculations includes repeated courses.

"Colleges and universities that you have attended may have grade forgiveness policies for repeated courses that differ from the PTCAS policy. PT programs may choose to use the PTCAS GPA’s or calculate new GPA’s for their own institutional use."

IMO, If you can keep your GPA above 3.0 by graduation, I wouldn't retake Chem.

I had C's in both chemistries and I got accepted into 2 schools

I suck at chemistry lol... Got Cs and thought about retaking both chem 1 and chem 2 if I did not get in this cycle...got into my top 3 schools and it never was even once mentioned at an interview.. Do well in your other science classes and don't worry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well....at my DPT school of choice the "C's" would be bad. Although they say you need a minimum science gpa of 3.0, the true requirement is that you must have a minimum of 3.0 in each science class. I don't believe all schools do this, but mine certainly does.

Well....at my DPT school of choice the "C's" would be bad. Although they say you need a minimum science gpa of 3.0, the true requirement is that you must have a minimum of 3.0 in each science class. I don't believe all schools do this, but mine certainly does.

That's UCA for ya! hahaha...but I do love the school! I had an amazing 4 years there!

I think it also depends on the overall strength of your application. I had a pretty good overall gpa, decent GRE, tons of extra curriculars and and some great internships. I received interviews at all my schools that required them and am trying to decide between University of Miami, Belmont, and Emory. 99 percent sure I am headed to Emory!!!!

Agreed with the poster above ^ definitely depends on the rest of your application. I had a couple bad grades, but I had a lot of work experience and some other things that strengthened my application.

That being said, my school isn't really HUGE on GPA. I know people with perfect grades and they didn't even get an interview. So, take the time to talk to advisors at schools you are interested in and have them give you advice.

I think it also depends on the overall strength of your application. I had a pretty good overall gpa, decent GRE, tons of extra curriculars and and some great internships. I received interviews at all my schools that required them and am trying to decide between University of Miami, Belmont, and Emory. 99 percent sure I am headed to Emory!!!!

Good for you!!!! You give us all hope that we don't have to have a 4.0 GPA to get into top (ranked) programs.

My GPA was 3.0 when applying, 2.7 prereq gpa with a C+ in one Chem and a C in general psych and I got into a few good schools and interviews for ~10 schools.

is this actually true?
I find it hard to believe. Are you in PT school now? Where and any recommendations?

I got into my top choice school with 2 C+'s in chemistry. I tried to make up for that with great LORs, great interviews, volunteer hours/aide experience, etc. Just work hard to improve other aspects of your application and you should be fine!

I am the one started this post. And I have been accepted into western university of health sciences for DPT!! And I had c's in both chems! I never retook them. Also I am wait listed at chapman and still have 3 schools to hear back from.

I got into my top choice school with 2 C+'s in chemistry. I tried to make up for that with great LORs, great interviews, volunteer hours/aide experience, etc. Just work hard to improve other aspects of your application and you should be fine!

What school are you attending sfpt112?

I am thrilled to hear this as it looks like I'll be making out with only a C in chemistry and have been debating over the necessity of retaking it.

I am thrilled to hear this as it looks like I'll be making out with only a C in chemistry and have been debating over the necessity of retaking it.

I would still if you can retake it. Every year it just gets more and more competitive! And it really is determined by how much research you do to see where you can realistically get in. The application process is very expensive so I would advise researching for schools where you have a chance of getting in based off your personal stats compared to their accepted student profile.

UCSF/SFSU. Maybe I aced the interview and made up for it? Who knows!

Retake them at your local CC. You don't want any C's on your transcript. Don't just assume it's good enough. If you can improve your application, then do it.

Kevin

I am the one started this post. And I have been accepted into western university of health sciences for DPT!! And I had c's in both chems! I never retook them. Also I am wait listed at chapman and still have 3 schools to hear back from.

I currently have a 3.49 cumulative and probably around a 3.0-3.15 science GPA however. The school I transferred from I have 3 W's and 2 Fails. Its not all in the same semester its spread out throughout 4 semesters but I had a friend that passed away when i go to college and that is why my grades sucked. But once I transferred my grades got up there and I even made deans list one semester. I also studied a year abroad as an EMT in Israel where I was on an intensive care ambulance and went to several terrorist attacks. Not to mention I have been working in physical therapy since high school.

I havent taken GRE and Physics 1 and 2

what should my letter pf recommendations, I good friend of mine is already an established physical therapist with his own place

But what do you think?

Do you think I could just email you? just to ask a few questions?

My email is [email protected]. and I am applying to dpt schools this summer. please help me thanks

Everyone needs to note that this thread initially began in 2011. Things have gotten a lot more competitive. I have 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 pre-req, 152V 157Q 5AW and did not get admission to most schools I applied to.

Everyone needs to note that this thread initially began in 2011. Things have gotten a lot more competitive. I have 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 pre-req, 152V 157Q 5AW and did not get admission to most schools I applied to.

That's because your pre-req GPA is kind of low. In two years, anything <3.5 won't be competitive. Good GRE score!

Kevin