Getting discouraged, need advice on gpa and situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is as follows, I enrolled in a cc in 2006. My first semester I was on academic warning, and the semesters after I was on probation/suspension. I took a few years off, retook most of those classes with A's. I transfered out and am in my senior year at a uni with a 3.9. I have all the typical ecs shadowing etc. But as I came to lurk in these forums the more and more I see about things that could disqualify me. For example, I have two class c misdemeanous, which I think I can get sealed. But now I just stumbled across "institutional actions" and I guess my academic warning probations/warnings/suspensions count as those actions. Should I continue, I will have the grades and ecs, but I feel like those two things will lower my chances alot. Any advice/stories/encouragement?My misdemeanours and actions were almost a decade ago, im a nontrad.

Members don't see this ad.

My situation is as follows, I enrolled in a cc in 2006. My first semester I was on academic warning, and the semesters after I was on probation/suspension. I took a few years off, retook most of those classes with A's. I transfered out and am in my senior year at a uni with a 3.9. I have all the typical ecs shadowing etc. But as I came to lurk in these forums the more and more I see about things that could disqualify me. For example, I have two class c misdemeanous, which I think I can get sealed. But now I just stumbled across "institutional actions" and I guess my academic warning probations/warnings/suspensions count as those actions. Should I continue, I will have the grades and ecs, but I feel like those two things will lower my chances alot. Any advice/stories/encouragement?My misdemeanours and actions were almost a decade ago, im a nontrad.

They will be red flags, but since they were a long time ago, and you have proven your commitment to getting your grades up and volunteering, I think you can talk your way through it. Just talk about immaturity, how you've grown since then.. changed person, etc. Never know until you try. Have you taken the MCAT yet?

No, I plan on studying for the mcat the semester after I graduate like its my full time job. In hopes to get a super high score to offset my horrible start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of applicants make mistakes when they're young, immature, and unfocussed. Your 3.9 bodes well. Naturally, you should be prepared to talk about your mistakes, and, more importantly, what you learned from them.

might as well give it a shot, I think it hurts you worse if the misdemeanors/institutional actions were more recent. Plus you could address all that in your personal statement, maybe not directly but you could say something like how you overcame a rough patch in your education blah blah blah.

Better to apply, than to never have applied at all

I had a terrible semester in college and ended up going on academic probation.

The important thing is you retake the stuff you did bad in, you disclose how you've changed your ways and this situation isn't going to happen again. Upward trend in grades will help you. Get a reaaally high MCAT.

There is no shame in admitting you made mistakes, but rather not learning from them.

Anyways, I got into med school just fine.

Hi scummie, how was your gpa ad how many classes did u retake? im currently retaking classes and prepping for mcat. thinking about taking it in jan. as i will be applying next cycle. i would really appreciate your advice. thanks.
I had a terrible semester in college and ended up going on academic probation.

The important thing is you retake the stuff you did bad in, you disclose how you've changed your ways and this situation isn't going to happen again. Upward trend in grades will help you. Get a reaaally high MCAT.

There is no shame in admitting you made mistakes, but rather not learning from them.

Anyways, I got into med school just fine.

Hi scummie, how was your gpa ad how many classes did u retake? im currently retaking classes and prepping for mcat. thinking about taking it in jan. as i will be applying next cycle. i would really appreciate your advice. thanks.

My GPA was a 2.something on the AMCAS side. With grade replacement, science and cumulative were somewhere around 3.0/3.1. Not pretty.

I retook 16 hours the summer before I applied on top of a full research job and studying for the MCAT.

At the very minimum, you need to retake classes you got D's and F's in. I also retook classes that I got C's in as well.

You'll really need to get a decent MCAT score (~30) to offset a low GPA. Make sure the other parts of your application aren't lacking.

Focus on your personal statement how you've changed blah blah, won't ever happen again, blah blah. No one ever asked me about it in my interviews.

Thanks scummie! i got two more classes left and my gpa will be about 3.2 ish with the grade replacement. so basically i have to do well on the mcat and go from there.. thanks again!
My GPA was a 2.something on the AMCAS side. With grade replacement, science and cumulative were somewhere around 3.0/3.1. Not pretty.

I retook 16 hours the summer before I applied on top of a full research job and studying for the MCAT.

At the very minimum, you need to retake classes you got D's and F's in. I also retook classes that I got C's in as well.

You'll really need to get a decent MCAT score (~30) to offset a low GPA. Make sure the other parts of your application aren't lacking.

Focus on your personal statement how you've changed blah blah, won't ever happen again, blah blah. No one ever asked me about it in my interviews.