Getting fired because of ABSITE score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tineybean

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am being let go (non-renewal of contract) for score less than 50%. Of the multiple residents in multiple pgy years who fall into this position, only two of us are being let go (neither with bad evals otherwise and both women, go figure). Am pretty sure the PD will not be helpful in obtaining new spot elsewhere (I would even be willing to repeat a year- prelims do it all the time when converting to categorical). Any thoughts/ words of wisdom/ advice/ ridicule?

Members don't see this ad.

i think there as to be more of a reason than ABSITE score unless that was specifically spelled out in you contract ... i think you should pull you contact out an look at it carefully ... you institution should have a grievance committee, that is where you should start ...

the ACGME does have guidelines for this .. i will refer you to this document
http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/irc/irc_IRCpr07012007.pdf

hope that helps

if there is not more to this story, ugh! :barf:

Get a lawyer....STAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
An ABSITE score alone cannot be a reason for firing/non-renewal. As was pointed out, a grievance committee (usually part of the GME) and a lawyer should be your next steps. I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to fight something like this, although there are PD's who read these forums and maybe one can offer advice.

The difficult part is that most PD's can come up with supporting evidence of a problem... we all make mistakes, and they can be construed as the mistakes of learning or the mistakes of incompetence, depending on the setting. However, without clear documentation of this, and a remediation or probationary period in which more proof of reasons not to rehire are demonstrated, you should have a chance.

Good luck; this can't be an easy thing to go through.

forgive my brevity, pd's have been known to surf...

the program is going through some angst because our recent graduates have not been passing the boards upon completion, so much so that the pd has delayed retirement to prevent automatic program review, because we would definitely go on probation for poor boards pass rate. He reasons that using the 50% weedout today ensures a > 66% pass rate on the boards (the minimum requirement) later. Unfortunately today's residents are paying for the mistakes of those who have graduated and moved on. Sucks, eh?

there is always more to the story ... i know for our program, we have very strict rule in regards to residents in "trouble" .... there are definite steps that need to be taken prior to a non renewal for a categorical position ...

if there was no forwarning, no probation period, no plan to improve you performance prior to non renewal, then you probably have a case ... if this has been done ... meaning you PD has dotted his/her I's and crossed his/her T's .... then you have a much harder go of it ..

but, just remember there are rules .. you just need to fined out what your GME's rules are .. most are base on an ACGME guideline ...

hope it helps

You can not get fired from what ever score you have. My program tried to do that to some other residents and I learned alot from observing the process. To fire a resident, there has to be DOCUMENTED deficiencies and DOCUMENTED ways in which they have tried to help you fix them. Also documentation on your inability to fix what ever was lacking. Also you have to go in a meeting and this all has to be documented and explained. IF they fire you without any of these things, get a lawyer and your set for the bigtime. A resident ~8 years ago got a few million becuase of this.

Also, you have to be on probation, during probation there has to be documentation of what they are doing to fix your problems and your inability to respond.

Alternatively if you broke the law such as sexual assault ect... you can be fired on the spot.

If you want to stay at the place, usually a hint of a lawyer will scare them and they will not bother you. Alternatively you can stay quite, get fired and than go back and try to cash out.