Getting from NYC to Valhalla, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be flying to NYC from out of state. What is the best way to get to Valhalla, NY (NYMC)? Are there trains or something. Is taking a cab a really bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Cab from NYC to Valhalla is a bad idea. You will get stuck in traffic and it costs much, much more than the train.

Take a direct shuttle bus from JFK to Grand Central Station (GCS). From there, you will take the White Plains Express route from GCS to White Plains (WP) via train. This is a ~35 minute ride. Walk down the steps at the WP station and get a cab to NYMC. Ask the cab driver to take you to the NYMC admissions building.

I'm going to be flying to NYC from out of state. What is the best way to get to Valhalla, NY (NYMC)? Are there trains or something. Is taking a cab a really bad idea?

Yeah I think its like 40min away from NYC. I'm doing the same thing, and my sister-in-law who lives in NYC says there is a train that goes from Grand Central Station to White Plains, and then I should cab it from there. I think there are directions somewhere on the website/invitation. Also, I'm pretty sure someone posted directions on the NYMC Secondary App thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah im taking a train too. but im flying to valhalla and going into nyc for a day of sightseeing before going to my interview haha :) might as well since im using my frequent flyer miles for this trip :/

I'm actually visiting someone at Columbia University

So I won't be at the airport at the time.. to take a shuttle :/

But the train idea kinda sounds good

I'm actually visiting someone at Columbia University

So I won't be at the airport at the time.. to take a shuttle :/

But the train idea kinda sounds good

From Columbia, you can get a crosstown M60 bus eastbound to Harlem -125th St Station and get a Metro North train to Valhalla. The train takes about 30 minutes. I'm not sure about the bus.

^i wouldnt waste the dollar on the bus, 125th street station is a few blocks from columbia. buy a hot dog then walk it off ;)

^i wouldnt waste the dollar on the bus, 125th street station is a few blocks from columbia. buy a hot dog then walk it off ;)

There are multiple 125th St. stations. Metro-North stops at E. 125th. Columbia is on the west side. It's not just "a few blocks."

Lol at a cab from Manhattan to Valhalla. That would be like $150 min.

I'm thinking of taking a taxi to Grand Central

I'm planning to also book a train ticket in advance for the morning... from Grand Central to Valhalla

Then get off and take a 10 min taxi ride to the campus

Can all this be done by 8:00 am?!?? Will I have to wake up at a like 5 in the morning?

I'm thinking of taking a taxi to Grand Central

I'm planning to also book a train ticket in advance for the morning... from Grand Central to Valhalla

Then get off and take a 10 min taxi ride to the campus

Can all this be done by 8:00 am?!?? Will I have to wake up at a like 5 in the morning?

1. You're better off going to White Plains station and taking a cab to Valhalla (about 15 min.). This is what NYMC recommends on their website also. White Plains is a very busy station with frequent service (every few minutes in the AM rush hour), so you should have no problem getting there on time. Just to be on the safe side, plan to arrive at White Plains around 7, to give yourself plenty of time to get to NYMC.

2. I second LizzyM on going to the Harlem-125th station if you're up at Columbia. (Tell the cabdriver to take you to the "MetroNorth station on 125th St.") This will save time, because you won't have to go all the way down to GC from Columbia (about a 30 min. trip), and the Metro North train arrives at Harlem 10 min. after it leaves Grand Central. (I.e. the same train that leaves GC at 6:06 stops at Harlem-125 at 6:16, so you have more time to catch it.) It will take about 15 min. to get to the Harlem station from Columbia, if you leave in the early AM, so that should buy you about 25 minutes compared to leaving from GC.

Here's a link to the online MetroNorth schedule site so you can play with different options: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

P.S. The train fare is dirt cheap: $12.36 off-peak round trip, if you buy your ticket online. The cab from White Plains to NYMC will probably cost that much or more each way.

Last edited:
1. You're better off going to White Plains station and taking a cab to Valhalla (about 15 min.). This is what NYMC recommends on their website also. White Plains is a very busy station with frequent service (every few minutes in the AM rush hour), so you should have no problem getting there on time. Just to be on the safe side, plan to arrive at White Plains around 7, to give yourself plenty of time to get to NYMC.

2. I second LizzyM on going to the Harlem-125th station if you're up at Columbia. (Tell the cabdriver to take you to the "MetroNorth station on 125th St.") This will save time, because you won't have to go all the way down to GC from Columbia (about a 30 min. trip), and the Metro North train arrives at Harlem 10 min. after it leaves Grand Central. (I.e. the same train that leaves GC at 6:06 stops at Harlem-125 at 6:16, so you have more time to catch it.) It will take about 15 min. to get to the Harlem station from Columbia, if you leave in the early AM, so that should buy you about 25 minutes compared to leaving from GC.

Here's a link to the online MetroNorth schedule site so you can play with different options: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

P.S. The train fare is dirt cheap: $12.36 off-peak round trip, if you buy your ticket online. The cab from White Plains to NYMC will probably cost that much or more each way.

Thanks for the help! I'l be at the columbia undergrad campus.. if that makes any difference.

Darn.. I'm gonna have to wake up at like 4:30 in the morning!

I actually attended the police academy on the same campus as NYMC--we used to run in formation all around the place.

Metro North Harlem Line to White Plains is your best bet. Valhalla is a very small train station--it can be difficult to get a cab there. White Plains is a big station with plenty of cabs.

You are looking at a cab ride of less than ten minutes with no traffic.

Taking a cab from Manhattan to Valhalla would take longer (traffic) and cost a fortune--$150 is about spot on...

I actually attended the police academy on the same campus as NYMC--we used to run in formation all around the place.

Metro North Harlem Line to White Plains is your best bet. Valhalla is a very small train station--it can be difficult to get a cab there. White Plains is a big station with plenty of cabs.

You are looking at a cab ride of less than ten minutes with no traffic.

Taking a cab from Manhattan to Valhalla would take longer (traffic) and cost a fortune--$150 is about spot on...
I second the Metro North. That would definitely be your best bet and get you there much faster.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.. I've decided to get up a little earlier and go to Grand Central. I hear the 125th street metro isn't in a very safe location to walk around in a suit.. atleast thats what my friends at Columbia say.

Rent a (relatively) cheap shuttle service.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.. I've decided to get up a little earlier and go to Grand Central. I hear the 125th street metro isn't in a very safe location to walk around in a suit.. atleast thats what my friends at Columbia say.

I live up in that area and I've used the station several times with no problems whatsoever.