Getting Frustated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desijigga

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ARGH!!!

I just don't get it, I been through about 300 questions in Uworld and still am at an avg of 45% (highest I got was 55% on a timed test of 30 questions). But in the COMBANK my average is about 60% (200 qs) and the Kaplan Comlex Qbank (250 qs) its about 65%.

I understand that UW is supposed to be really hard, and its not like I havent been studying. I am almost through first aid (still need to cover biochem, embryo, behavioral sciences and get good on pharm) and about 400 pages in goljan path. I also have listened to more than half of goljan audio. Currently I am only signed up for the Comlex on June 22, so should I even bother doing UW anymore? I want to take the USMLE but I def don't feel prepared. I feel like I have a good grasp on micro, pathology, OMM.. weak subjects for me are pharm, biochemistry, neuro (not as weak as other 2). People have told me UW is way too hard for comlex, but its still the best q bank.

Any advice, I have about 7 weeks left till my test. Should I stop doing questions and just review everything over again?

Members don't see this ad.

You've got plenty of time. Do tutor mode and learn from your mistakes.

I'm not doing all that much better than you are on UWorld, but I'm learning a ton. It is really solidifying what is important, and I feel like I'm learning about how to approach the test itself, and it is identifying my weaknesses as a test-taker.

Missing questions on UWorld is the best learning experience I've had in med school. Sometimes I miss them on purpose so that I'll get the same question again when I go back and re-do just my "incorrect" questions, in order to reinforce something.

Dude, relax. You have SEVEN WEEKS. So you're missing questions, big deal. You said yourself you're only halfway through Goljan lectures and have a ton of stuff to review in First Aid still. And IMHO, only reviewing and not doing questions is the WORST thing you could do to yourself. Do a block of questions every single night. You need the practice because as much as it's a knowledge test, it's also a test of how well can you decode this question and chose the right answer.

I think the problem right now is that you're spreading yourself too thin across too many resources and not hunkering down with the Step 1 Holy Trinity (First Aid, Goljan lectures/path, and UWorld) and also that you're trying to gauge how well you're going to do before you even get through reviewing all the material once. Chill out, breathe, you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies guys, I guess listening to other students in the class getting high scores on UW just freaks me out. We still got 2 more weeks of school left, but I still try to do about 30-40 qs a night and put in 2 hours of board studying on top of that. Hopefully after school ends, I can just focus on the comlex related stuff...

U-world is a great learning tool to fill in the gaps. I would review all the book material, and then do 12Q blocks of U-world and read each explanation for each answer choice. So it would take me 1hr to get through 12 UW questions.

I suggest you do the following.

Stop doing U-world daily, and concentrate on learning the basics behind the questions.

[1] Do 6 days 9-10hrs/day of phys, and on 7th day do 70 UW Qs

[2] Do 6 days of 9-10hrs/day of pharm, and then spend 2-3 days on Qs

[3] Do 14 days on path, and then spend 3-4 days on Qs.

[4] The above is about 5weeks. So the remaining 2 weeks you can do the remaining UW qs.