Getting in ..before getting a degree...?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a couple of questins on this subject. First, is it a realistic possibility to apply (and get in) to Med school after finishing your pre req courses, but not yet having a degree?? I have looked at many schools requirements, and it seems that they only need 90 hours or so of undergrad. I have slew of extra curriculars, a pretty good gpa 3.5 (sci=3.8), and I'm looking to get in on some research too.
Secondly, if I was to apply and not get in (which would most likely happen) how "bad" is it to apply again after getting a degree??(assuming that not having one was a large determinent of non acceptance)
I am considering this because I made the choice to pursue medicine late in my undergrad career(junior), and I would really love to start my family life sooner. If I was to wait until I get a degree, I am looking at at least two more years before I could matriculate. I know this may sound kind of petty, but I am 22 now, and I really would like to settle down before I am well into my 30's.
Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Spyyder:

Here are my 2 cents: first of all, true: medical schools do accept students without degrees. But, usually they say something like..only exceptional students will be accepted without degrees. How many hours would u have by the time u start med school if u were to apply right now? Can u do it in Summer? To be honest with u, I do think they look seriously at if u are a degree candidate..it just adds credibility to ur application. But, I don't think u would be rejected based on that. If you already took ur MCAT and aced it..then, of course go ahead and apply even without a degree..who knows, what lies where? And, if u don't get accepted..u will get a degree by then..and maybe have a semester off for "family life"..and then could start medical school. The only disadvantage would be..u applying again.. I just got my degree..and I got it in 3 years. However, when I applied to medical school I only had 86 hrs under my belt..and I was able to get the rest from my junior year...see if u can take placement tests, take extra classes, see for a major that overlaps with yours but doesn't require that many hours.. all sorts of possibilities.
In short, if u have decent MCATs..I would apply.

[This message has been edited by austinite (edited 06-02-2000).]

I think being accepted w/o a degree is a rare exception. It would be interesting to hear if anyone on this board has done it. I agree it would be great to just get in and save a year. My brother just graduated Dental school and he never recieved a BS. This is a little more common in Dental school but I have never heard of anyone getting into med school w/o a degree.

Your trusty MSAR will tell you the number of applicants accepted without a degree at a given school... I think the general range is 0-1!