Getting In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

theking

I have a question,

What do you people think are my chances of getting into medical school with my stats:
GPA: 3.42
MCAT: P: 12
biggrin.gif
B: 10
smile.gif
V: 6
mad.gif
Essay: O
confused.gif

I have very little research experience, although I do have a lot of extracurricular activities around campus but minimal experience in a hospital setting(outside of volunteering for 3-4 years).

Do you think it is hopeless for me to even bother trying to get in (realistically)? What schools do you recommend someone in my situation should apply to (if u think I should apply)?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a senior now, or do you still have some time to boost your GPA a little? What is your science GPA? Let me see if I understand this correctly, you have volunteered for 3-4 years in a hospital, or you've just volunteered elsewhere, and NOT in a hospital or clinic/setting? If it wasn't a hospital or clinic setting, then that is definitely a weak point on your application. If you can clear this up, and also let us know what year of school you are in, it might be easier to give advice.

Ok, im a senior student.
my BCMP is 3.41
my volunteer experience is indeed in a hospital setting

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I would advise you to take the MCAT again, but apply now. Send in your application and tell them you'll be taking the August MCAT. A total of 28 isn't bad per se, but the 6 in Verbal will be looked down upon. According to admissions committees (I met with GW about it), the verbal is the only score with statistical significance on how it will affect your performance in med school. This means that someone with a 10 is at a lesser risk for having trouble with the curriculum than a 7. Also, they told me that scores below an 8 suggest one may have major difficulty keeping up with med school curriculum. The other sections look good, if you can just get the verbal to an 8. I also learned from admissions committees that less deviation between individual scores is preferred (ie a 10, 10, 10 is better than a 13, 10, 7). Definitely apply anyway, but be realistic about your chances of getting an interview without taking the MCAT again. Good luck!

I agree with FourthTime's advice about the MCAT -- it's probably best to try to retake and boost the verbal score -- my best recommendation is to read, read, and read more. There's a thread on the "Everyone" board about verbal MCAT secrets, and there's some pretty good advice there -- definitely suggest taking a look at it. The fact that you don't have research experience should not be a negative -- I think it's a plus if you have it, but not having it does not detract from your application. I guess you need to ask yourself how much time and energy do you really want to put into this process? If you are not in a big rush, and you think that you can realistically raise your verbal score to at least an 8, I would probably advise taking another year -- applying is just such an expensive undertaking, and from what I hear, if you have to reapply, most schools expect to see a pretty significant change/improvement in your application to reconsider you. I guess it just really depends on your situation, and if it is realistic for you to wait another year. I took 2 years off between undergrad and med school (I will be starting this fall), and I'm really glad that I did. I think the work experience I gained really helped my application (I worked at a hospital for 2 years), and I think it just made me more mature about the process. Also, it gave me some time to enjoy having an income and not being in school -- now I really feel ready to go back. I think I would have felt a little burnt out going any earlier. Feel free to post if you have more questions.

[This message has been edited by lilycat (edited 03-17-2001).]