SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Getting In

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jah000, Jun 16, 2000.

1. jah000

jah000 New Member

Jun 15, 2000
    NYC, NY, USA
    Can anyone clue me in on my chances for gettin getting into medical school. My background: I am going to finish my MS in chemistry (Inorganic) by 2001 and am planning for applying for subsequent admission into medical schools. My undergrad gpa was ~3.2 (in BCHM) and my grad gpa is 4.0. I plan to score a 38 this august on the MCATs (My practice scores through Princeton was between 37-40). My letter of recommendations were rather exemplary (I think) as one was written by my research advisor. I am still relatively young (I hope) at 21.

My questions are, how detrimental is my undergrad gpa? I did not pursue a MS in a field that is somewhat related to medicine (ie. molecular bio, bchm), will this be a problem? What are my overall chances of getting in?

If there is anyone out there who can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 4, 2000
    Minneapolis, MN
    Your undergrad GPA is *not* detrimental (though you didn't parse out science or major GPAs), considering your other credentials. With your graduate GPA and your MCAT projected score, you'll coast, as long as your statement and interview style are both appealing and smooth. Doing all this by age 21 is equally impressive -- that you're asking this at all is rather surprising to me, because you're obviously overqualified in all other fields. Take a deep breath.

4. jah000

jah000 New Member

Jun 15, 2000
    NYC, NY, USA
    Thanks for your help.

I was wondering, around what score, for my background, would likely get me into med school. I understand that there is no clear cut way of how schools determine acceptance into medical school (part of the reason I had asked my initial question). But is there a score above which it is quite likely to get into med schools. Thanks.

5. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 24, 2000
    I think you'll get lots of interviews if you do perform "that" well on the MCATs. However, MCATs and GPAs are not the factors that gives someone admissions to medical school. My best friend didn't make it, even with a 3.7 at stanford and an average of 13 on the MCAT the first year she applied. In your case, however, I think pursuing an MS then applying to medical school will be very favorable. THis shows committment to the medical field. Concentrate on secondaries. This will be the factor the gets you the interviews. Good luck!

6. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 29, 2000
    east coast
    to respond to everything in this post.....MCAT's wont get you in but nobody will care what your grades are unless they are really bad. Anyone willing to study hard can get good grades....but you have to be reasonably bright to pull a 36 on the MCAT (so the logic goes). As far as post bac work......its a nice alternative to attempt to beef up your record to get in if you fail...however I have heard alot of people say that having a PhD or an MS really don't make you a sure shot or a better candidate because different things go into making a researcher and a doctor (though some cross lines) In synopsis, MCAT's are the thing.

7. Baadnesss

Baadnesss Junior Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Hi jah000,

I'm very impressed at how much you've got done at such a young age. One thing I've learned from experience is that scores on practice tests don't really equate to what you'll actully receive. I took four practice tests from Kaplan, Princeton, and two sample ones the MCAT ppl put out--- all returning different results. I was scoring anywhere from 38-43, but when I got my results, needless to say, it wasn't anywhere near that. Well, good luck to ya, and I hope you do very well... If your practice tests turn out to be reliable predictors, then you should have no problem getting in. [​IMG]

8. jah000

jah000 New Member

Jun 15, 2000
    NYC, NY, USA
    THANKS everyone for the GREAT advice. I am quite anxious about applying to med school and so have a bunch of questions and am quite glad to have found this forum recently. Anyway, I am once again greatful to everyone who was kind enough to answer my questions.