Getting in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of anyone who had disciplinary prob. frosh year and got in? otherwise great stats. Plagiarized a paper frosh yr under a lot of stress- suspended 1 semester &grown up a lot since then

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by UTdoc
Anyone out there know of anyone who had disciplinary prob. frosh year and got in? otherwise great stats. Plagiarized a paper frosh yr under a lot of stress- suspended 1 semester &grown up a lot since then

I wasn acedemic probation and got in.

thanks - did you feel like a lot of schools rejected you right away because of that? or did you get as many interviews as you thought you would?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was also in ac pro and got in

mdmiracle. i pmed you. thank.s

can you guys share what you did and if you had to apply more than once. could you also tell us where you got in? thanks

I second that, Dookbloo - that would really help. It could be someone you know, too - not neces. you

I was also put on disciplinary probation for plagiarism in my freshman english about 5 years ago. That was probably the stupidest thing I ever did. However, I wasn't suspended or anything.....I was just put on probation the following semester and had to repeat the class.

I just sent my secondaries to a bunch of schools after I got my august mcat score back (that was my first time taking the mcat). So we will see how it all plays out.

Anybody else face this situation before?

For you guys who were on academic probation - what does that mean?

For you guys who were on academic probation - what does that mean?

bad grades, poor performance in my case.

i was on academic probation.

we'll see if i ever get in. =D

wouldnt worry about it though, as long as you have a postive slope in progression.

i think you guys might be missing what hes trying to ask. hes on probation for plagiarism. anyone else in that scenario?

............. does it say " suspended for plagarism" on your transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah basically - the good thing about it is that it was frosh year and nothing like it ever happened again- otherwise stats are very good.

I was on academic probation and I got in

does academic probation mean you have to check yes to that amcas question about being placed on probation, suspended, etc? what did they say about it in your interviews?

The way we were presented with it is that ANY kind of official university action needs to be mentioned. This includes when you were caught with a bottle of beer in the dry freshmen dorm and had to attend an alcohol education class per the dean's mandate, etc. At my school, warnings don't go down on the official record, but everything else does. Kinda freaky.

To answer the question about what academic probation is, it usually means you had under a 2.0 for a quarter. I've been on it, but I'm still tryin' my best to reach my goals! That's really all one can do I guess.

does it say plagiarism on transcript, i know my college's just says academic probation. Would you tell adcoms it was plagiarism if only said academic probation? You could always blame it on stress, sounds better than plagiarism imo.

Hmmm...what do you mean blame it on stress? i mean, it's definitely true that stress caused me to do something i wouldn't normally have done...is that what you mean?

im saying why say plagiarism for an F, i dont think it looks good, but hey im a dummy premed havent interviewed yet so dont listen to me just wondering, why ppl would say plagiarism if its not stated as that on transcript.

because schools keep a record of <i>everything</i>. If you lie and say it was something else, what do you think the med school is gonna do in july when they examine your final transcripts and school records? The words "rescind your acceptance" come to mind. It just ain't worth it to lie about something. Not only could it come back to bite you in the ass, but would you want to spend the rest of your life wondering if your degree was predicated on a lie?

yeah - that's not an option. i didn't get an F, but i did get discip. suspension. i've heard that it was really good it happened frosh yr (bc lots of wacky things are forgiven that yr) and was a 1-time thing

Schools keep a record of EVERYTHING..... UP TO A POINT. I was on AP, and I checked off that "institutional action" box on AMCAS. Some schools asked me to get a dean's letter explaning the institutional action, and when I called my school they told me they had destroyed my records, and all they had access to was my trasncript! (which says nothing about being on academic probation). In fact the academic dean said "I cant even tell if you were on academic probation or not!" Theoretically I could have gotten away with not telling AMCAS about having institutional action, but I liked how I got a box on the AMCAS app to explain my ac pro situation, and how I have rectified it since.

Im not saying they wont keep a record of Academic Probation, im just saying i dont think they keep a record of why your on Academic probation other than you got a 2.0. Anything on your transcript shouldnt be lied about i agree. I dunno plagiarism is a big issue nowadays. I know colleges want are on a big crackdown, and i dont think med schools will like hearing it from an applicant, but again this is all assumptions havent applied yet. Would like to hear one person say they plagiarized and still got in thought

In any case, I don't think it's a good idea to say it was "because of stress." Doctors (especially on-call ones) are under stress all the time. That's the justification for the rigors of pre-med curriculum--to weed out the weak.

Just be honest. You really can't cover it up. If they want to know, they'll find out. Being open about it and explaining what you learned from the experience (ok, this is starting to sound like juvy) is probably best.

Originally posted by Newquagmire
In any case, I don't think it's a good idea to say it was "because of stress." Doctors (especially on-call ones) are under stress all the time. That's the justification for the rigors of pre-med curriculum--to weed out the weak.

Just be honest. You really can't cover it up. If they want to know, they'll find out. Being open about it and explaining what you learned from the experience (ok, this is starting to sound like juvy) is probably best.

I agree, that's exactly what I did on my amcas. Luckily, this happened in my freshman year like 5years ago. So I was able to explain it away. But I dunno how much the explanation will help.

Either way, I don't think you should lie about the plagiarism thing. Mainly because medical schools might want to scrutinize your records after you get accepted and decide to go there. Not to mention, every night will be a sleepless night for you if you won't mention it.

Try it and see, and tell me if I was wrong....

UTdoc, i had a plagiarism charged my freshman year, too. im currently applying now. i have always been completely forthright in what happened. i also had an alcohol violation my freshman year. if you want, i can keep you updated on waht happens. im getting a lot of secondaries, but i havent been verified yet.