getting into a school that rejected you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstrangelove

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone here:

1) obtained admission to a school that rejected you post-secondary?
2) obtained admission to a school that rejected you post-interview?

If so, how did you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean applying the second go-round?

I have a couple of friends who were admitted (directly, no waitlist) to a school that had rejected them (post-interview) the year before. They spent that year doing everything they could to improve their applications. I know that at least one of them got specific advice on how to do this from a member of the adcom. So, it's definately possible. Most schools should be willing to give you some feed-back post rejection as to what you could do to make yourself a stronger canidate.
That being said, I do remember comming across several private schools while I was applying that specifically said that if they had rejected you in the past, your chances of getting in after re-application were virtually nill.
Maybe state schools tend to be more flexible about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
its why being a reapplicant is tough.
not impossible but tough. ask mr. reddly for example...i think this is his 4th time around and being the awesome guy that he is...he got into an awesome school.

you definitely need dedication and patience to be a reapplicant. but its not impossible.

I applied to a school that accidentally rejected me post-secondary (I was told my file was put in the wrong pile).....they later interviewed me, and now I'm on their waitlist....hopefully I'll be able to say that I was rejectected, waitlisted, and accepted at that school, all in the same application cycle :D

felipe5 said:
I applied to a school that accidentally rejected me post-secondary (I was told my file was put in the wrong pile).....they later interviewed me, and now I'm on their waitlist....hopefully I'll be able to say that I was rejectected, waitlisted, and accepted at that school, all in the same application cycle :D

I got rejected post-secondary somewhere, then interviewed, then waitlisted also. Unfortunately, I am not going to take the waitlist spot, so I'll never know if I could have been rejected, waitlisted and accepted all at one school in one application cycle.

Best of luck on your quest to do that, though...I think it's pretty cool! :D

I got accepted this year and given a scholarship to a school that rejected me post-interview last application cycle. I think the difference was that I talked to adcom chairman about the weaknesses in my application and set out specific things I could do to improve them. Then I went and did those things. Being accepted the second time around was probably a combination of improving my app and showing dedication/determination/follow-through.

I was accepted to a school that previously rejected me post-secondary. PM me if you want details.

I was initially rejected from a top 10 medical school post-secondary this interview cycle. I wrote a letter asking them to reconsider and updated the admissions committee with my credentials. Next think you know, I got an interview. And then received an acceptance. :D I went from rejection to acceptance. Trust me, it can be done. Just show interest and give them additional information about yourself that could sway the tide.

MedSkooler said:
I was initially rejected from a top 10 medical school post-secondary this interview cycle. I wrote a letter asking them to reconsider and updated the admissions committee with my credentials. Next think you know, I got an interview. And then received an acceptance. :D I went from rejection to acceptance. Trust me, it can be done. Just show interest and give them additional information about yourself that could sway the tide.

Hey Medskooler!

May I ask which school this was? If I have to reapply, I would definitely consider applying there. That school is awesome! :clap:

:D I was rejected from my current school the first go round pre-secondary and the 2nd time I was successful in getting an interview and then being accepted right away. It's funny how things turn out.

I was rejected last year from CU post-interview and then accepted this year right after my interview. I think it helped that I spoke with the Dean of Admissions and found out the parts of my application that they felt were weak (undergrad science GPA and an average interview). I improved on every single weak point by completing my Masters with a 3.95 Science GPA and then this year preparing for my interview more and discussing with my interviewer all the ways that I improved my application the second time around. In addition, I used the year off to improve areas of my application that were already strong by adding to my clinical exposure and research experience. I also applied much earlier the second time around.

MedSkooler said:

That's an amazing and uplifting story!!! :clap:
Best of luck to you!

drstrangelove said:
Hi, has anyone here:

1) obtained admission to a school that rejected you post-secondary?
2) obtained admission to a school that rejected you post-interview?
If so, how did you do it?

1) yes, kinda
2) yes

How I did it?

Slept with the ADCOMMS. nah just teasin' Or am I?

I called the schools up, said what was wrong with my application. They told me what I needed to work on, and I followed their instructions. reapplied. and was accepted to one, wiatlisted at the other.