Getting into biomedical engineering with an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graviton

Top Gunner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I apply to a biomedical engineering masters or phD programs with an MD and no prior training in engineering? I have come to realise that I don't want to practise clinical medicine when I graduate and I'm looking into other options.

-G

Members don't see this ad.

Can I apply to a biomedical engineering masters or phD programs with an MD and no prior training in engineering? I have come to realise that I don't want to practise clinical medicine when I graduate and I'm looking into other options.

-G

I'd like to know this too! Emphasis on no prior training in engineering. In my mind I'd have to specialize on the medicine side and then team up with someone who is a BME professor for projects, essentially leaving the engineering part to their side.

-G

I went the opposite route, left the biomedical engineering track for clinical med. I hope you did your homework into what it consists of! It sounds great, but I think staying in/around clinical med or possibly healthcare consulting is a way better option.

You should consider applying to one of the APD programs in consulting.

It would be difficult to switch gears from MD to BME. There's a lot of undergrad level math (multivariable calc / engineering physics) that needs to be re-learned along with some basic computer sciences. Mechanics, for example, took me out back the woodshed. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking into doing the five year MD/MS in biomedical engineering and the requirement at my school is a bacc. degree in engineering or a physical or biological science. If you don't have a degree in engineering, the additional pre-requisites are linear algebra, diff eq and physics, but I don't know anything more specific. I'd say check out if your school has the 1 year masters available, and if not, look into other masters programs you might want to do after med school and their specific requirements. I very much doubt an engineering PhD program would take you directly, but if you do a masters in engineering with thesis option, it will be much more accessible.

I did my undergrad in engineering, and I can say a masters is sufficient for many engineering jobs, but especially the biomedical industry has a preference toward doctorate level. Not sure how the MD plays in there and whether it substitutes for a PhD.

Go into engineering directly from medicine would be a difficult, if not impossible task. You have to fulfill certain pre-reqs that others have mentioned such as advanced engineering and physics courses. However, I don't think I'll hope is lost. You can apply for a graduate program and you may be placed on remediation for the first two years so that you can fulfill all the prerequisites.

I am also really interested in doing this as a DO student, which is a little bit more farfetched. Please let me know your outcome!

Most biotech companies wouldn't want to pay the higher rates for advanced degrees to get someone who has no clue how to use solidworks, generate drawings with appropriate dimensions/tolerancing, and has little to no knowledge of design materials. Easier to just hire the engineer and teach them the relevant clinical stuff. However, companies do like MD or PHD level people when it comes to clinical research and managing studies that show their devices/biologics/pills are awesome. Better have a decent amount of RELEVANT research though.

academic research in the field is also an option in addition to going to the private sector