1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Getting into Dental School Now vs. Then

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dent2009, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Anybody ever get slightly annoyed that some dentists (mostly the older ones) don't quite understand how competitive dental admissions is becoming? Every dentist that I shadowed thinks it's a breeze to get into dent school since from what i've gathered, it WAS a breeze back then. They pretty much scoffed when I told them how worried I was about getting in (of course this was before I received my acceptances). I'm in no way saying that they're less competent or qualified than today's students, but at times I wanna tell them that you can't just knock on the door of a dental school and say, "I wanna be a dentist, let me in" (well this was an extreme case. but no joke. This happened to one of the older - like 60 year-old dentist I shadowed and he was pretty much accepted on the spot). But even dentists that graduated 10 years ago aren't aware of how ultra competitive it has become.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DentalRocks09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    wow i totally agree with you..these old folk really dont understand how competitive this field is getting..my dentist had the same reaction as most other dentists as if it were a breeze...now since med is not the way to go, they are lookin toward our profession as an alternative...blows for us who really have a passion for this line of wrk

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I dunno about getting in, but my dad told me about how dental school was much harder in the 70's because they would automatically drop the bottom ~25% of the class (I forget the exact number). I'd rather face a more difficult admissions process than the prospect of being dropped once I'm in.

4. rewJW

rewJW surviving
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't know if it was necessarily easier then. It could just be that you guys are shadowing some cocky folks. lol. I have met a few dentists who feel that way, but they are also the type of guys who feel that everything they do is superior to everything everybody else does.

Two of the dentists I've worked with/shadowed didn't get in their first shot, with decent GPA's -- one retook the DAT and reapplied and got in, the other moved to a different state, did more shadowing, and got in. I am sure I've come across more dentists who had trouble getting into d-school but are not willing to admit it :cool:

Not looking at any data to back up what I'm speculating, it does seem that DAT scores need to be higher for a better shot at getting in. But I have heard that is not because the average is going up - it's remained around 17 for a long time - it's just that the average of matriculants is going up because more people are taking the test, so more are getting each score bracket, so there are more 20+ available to get into the d-schools, thus bringing up the average of matriculants. Most of the dentists I know claim to not remember their DAT score but those who got a 17-19 --- they thought that me having a 20 AA should get me into every school I applied to. If only! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i feel you man. i am from a state that doesn't have a dental school. one of the states next to mine has an agreement with my state, so they accept SEVEN out of 75 people in my state that apply through regular admissions. 7 out of 75 people.

i interviewed at 5 schools, ended up getting into four of them so far. when i told my dentist that i got into the school that takes 7 out of 75 ppl from my state, he was like "i knew you'd get in there. you didn't need to go flying around the country wasting all that money"

add it to my grad plus loans. lolololol

but seriouslly..people just don't know

i had decided that i was getting into dental school the first year i applied and wasn't going to put my acceptance fate solely into one school that takes 7 out of 75 ppl.

no hate to that particular school, it's just that man...you can't deny that its tough getting into their school if you're from my state

6. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    They accept 7 out of 75, or 7 people from your state accepted them last year? There's a difference. They probably accepted 30 people from your state. I'm pretty sure your chances of getting into that school were better than you think.

7. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ok here's how it works: the school has a reserved admissi oon program. they have about 25 seats for residents of my state. they fill up 20 seats through the reserved admission program, which is good if you found out about the reserved admission program in time.

however, if you're like me and didn't find out that you had to be a sophomore in college for the reserved admission program, you have to apply through regular admissions.

this is how regular admissions is broken down (i heard this straight from the guy in charge of admissions):

approximately 75 ppl from my state apply.
    20 of them are offered interviews pre-dec 1.
    7 of those people interviewed get an offer of acceptance.
    that makes 7 out of 75 ppl getting accepted from my state through the regular aadsas admissions process.

for real man.

so my advice: find out about reserved admission programs before its too late...

8. Persevere13

Persevere13 Witness
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    couldn't agree anymore w/ this topic - just look at the trends - 6 years ago you could slide in with a 3.0-3.3 and a 17 AA

those are definitely "wait and apply" next cycle stats

9. webdog54

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Exactly, way more people applying for the same amount of spots= increased competition and a need for increased GPA and DAT scores to be competitive. Even in the past three years the applicant pool has increased substantially.

10. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    most of the older dentists i shadowed were hippies back in the day that partied their way through undergrad, and dental school

they would have no chance of getting into dental school today

but they are great dentists, which goes to show you that DAT scores and gpa should not be everything

11. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I told hte dentist I shadow that I got an interview... he said GREAT ! You're IN!!!

12. cybermech

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yea totally... my dad got into OHSU, USC, and Creighton in the '70's without an interview or anything. They just crunched his scores and GPA and sent him an acceptance letter. When he advised me, we were pretty arrogant about the process on my first run at dental school. We turned down a bunch of interviews we should've gone to. That was a big mistake. *sigh*

#12 cybermech, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  13. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i know a dentist that received a 9 on one section and was accepted to what is now considered one of those "top notch" northeastern schools

it's gotten slightly unfair

oh and i should say that this person then graduated at the TOP of his class, so DAT in no way correlates with how well some people will do in d-school...aside from probably being the best dentist i know!!

14. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A 9?!?!

15. Plopper

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
  16. murff05

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My dad went to dental school in the 70's and he said it was actually competitive to get in. Apparently a lot of guys decided to attend school so that they would not have to go to war in Vietnam. I'll have to find out specifics.

17. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sounds interesting. i'd like to hear the details...

18. HowCanSheSlap

Pre-Dental
    It is more competitive nowadays due to the sheer amount of people applying compared to yester-year.

But, I believe SDN builds it up even bigger than it actually is since it seems that everyone here has 20+ DAT's

SDN, the great tool that it is, it definitely increases the stress level.

19. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You guys also realize that they used to graduate 6000 dentists per year, and now have scaled back down to 4000, most recently bringing the total up to 4400, still below what it used to be. Also this 6000 per year was with far less applicants as well.

20. HowCanSheSlap

Pre-Dental
    Interesting. Was that because schools offered more seats than they do today? because there are more dental schools today, than ever.

21. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm not sure why it is, but I've heard it from a few old school dentists and a few adcoms who came to talk to our school.

I'm looking for a website that talks about it online but I can't, but ASDOH states that 6000 dentists retire for every 4000 new ones at the end of this page

http://www.atsu.edu/asdoh/about/identified_need.htm

This website states that

From 1985-86 to 1995-96, the number of dental hygiene graduates increased by 20 percent, while the number of dentist graduates declined by 23 percent

http://www.adha.org/media/facts/access.htm

A 23 percent decrease from 6000 is roughly 4500, which is on par with the current numbers.

22. nydds25

2+ Year Member

Schools closed. My dentist went to Emory.

23. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know Northwestern closed too, wonder which other ones did as well.

24. nydds25

2+ Year Member

Georgetown (too bad.. would have been nice).

25. HowCanSheSlap

Pre-Dental
    Georgetown, and marymount Loyola. In the last 20-25 years i believe 6 dental schools have closed.

26. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  27. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, but they also opened some up.

You don't make the strongest arguments... like with the CSU vs. UC posts.

"6000" was at the peak, according to groundhog. This "fact" isn't even credible. Regardless, it was at the PEAK. It doesn't mean "they used to graduate 6000." Geez.

28. Old School

Old School Magically Delicious
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's definitely tougher these days. When I was was a senior in undergrad (1993) many of my friends were accepted during their junior year, with no need to get their Bachelor. I don't think you would see that happen much now, if at all.

29. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Looks like someones on my nuts. Nice to have a stalker I suppose.

I wasn't trying to make an "argument". I stated in previous posts it is what I heard from adcoms and a few older dentists, which I did. Then you quoted me as saying

"Dug up an old thread....has some closures of the dental schools and also has a post about 6000 graduates back then to 4000 now"

What exactly did you get on RC? I was trying to refer others to another post someone else made with the comment about 6000 graduates to 4000 now, so go whine to that guy that "he doesn't make the best arguments".

30. Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well "kids" I don't know what the numbers are like now, but I can tell you the school I got into in 1975 had over 3700 applicants for only 40 slots. The competition for those slots was very different then it is now. However, it was not easy!

All of us "old dentists" that went to school before you were born have had a lot of life experiences that make dental school acceptance rather mild in our minds. For example have any of you guys held your mothers hand as she died? Have you watcher your kids being born. Have you been shot at by the enemy? Have you had to get a loan to cover the payroll this week? Have you had to go to rehab? Have you been trough a divorce? Have you been lost in a third world country and didn't know the language? Have you paid off a 30 year mortgage early? Have you been elected mayor of your town? Have you had your office burn down and have to rebuild it? Have you seen your "troubled kid" son graduate after all?

So the leason in all this is this----Us older guys have seen a lot in life and getting into dental school was only one more step along the way. It is hard for us to remember the single minded, total focus on a one goal we had 30 years ago and that you have now.

Peter27 likes this.
  31. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    well...i am only a traditional college student but i have had quite a bit of "life experiences" and i have held my dying grandfather's hand. my father was in a hypothermic coma, two degrees short of death. i've lived in poverty. my car died in the middle of the road at college one semester. everything in our house was always breaking down. one time a huge tree fell down in the front our house and the house was so cold there was an icicle in the bathtub. i've been through breakups with guys. i've had weight problems. i've been through a ton of mental and physical and emotional abuse. my dad was an alcoholic. one time a guy ditched me for another girl that he got pregnant like two months later. i've held the hand of a dying patient. i've sorted death records. i've seen people in horrible conditions. i've been yelled at, screamed at, and everything about me has been attacked even by family members.

my point: don't go bashing on college kids because you don't know what all they've gone through. just because you're older doesn't mean anything.

32. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    p.s. please forgive my little rant, its been a rough semester

33. Plopper

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    which is why i've been so blessed to have had a dentist who has basically mentored me. Your life experiences give incredible wisdom that i would hope would be passed on to the next generation of dentists

i'm sure grateful to the dentist that i shadowed, in my mind he is everything that a dentist should strive to be

34. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think any of us mean any disrespect to you older dentists, but I do see how some of you may feel that way. I applaud and respect everything you have gone through and whether a lot of us like to admit it or not, we like to stroke our little egos. And because we aren't as wise as you and have experienced so much, dental school admissions IS the crowning moment of our lives so far, so we are milking every moment of it right now.

35. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Come on. Chill out "grandpa". we don't mean to disrespect older dentists and i don't recall any of the posts offending you guys, but to me your comments seems a little bit offensive and condescending. We get what you're saying...BUT many things you mentioned we'll naturally experience as we age - death of a parent, kids, divorce, mortgage. Can you blame us for being so wrapped up in the dent school application? It's only the natural progression of things for us right now in our young lives. Geez. You know, maybe your kid was troubled because of your "nurturing" attitude. i can imagine you raising your kid and telling him, "hey Billy, chill out, kindergarten's nothing. You haven't accomplished anything yet buddy." "Billy, you broke up with a girl? That's nothing. Wait till you get a divorce. You haven't experienced nothing yet". What a way be compassionate and nurturing to the young mind.

#35 dent2009, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  36. cookand

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When did this dentist take the DAT? I remember a pedo I shadowed mentioning that he made in the low double digits(maybe an 11 or 12?). He also constantly reminded me to sharpen up on my carving skills as I would have to carve a piece of chalk in to something as part of the DAT!:eek:

I'm wondering if the scoring wasn't a bit different back then.