Getting Into GS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scutmonkeyy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year and will be graduating with a DO degree. Interested in General Surgery and wanted to know which programs (university programs), preferrably west-coast (most preference) and east-coast programs will I have a legitimate shot at.
My profile:
top 35% of class, 203 on USMLE, research, multiple publications, and presentations during medical school, have held multiple leadership positions (including with my state medical association); good lor's.

I would also like to know which programs will grant me an automatic interview and which would improve my chances immensely if I was to do an audition rotation at their institution.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Can't direct you to East/West coast programs, but I'd say that with a Step 1 of 203 and a DO degree, you'll definitely want to do auditions at your favorite schools. You need to do something to stand out; being there is the best possible way to get their attention. GenSurg had a pretty big jump this year -- only a handful of categorical spots left for the scramble. This means that you'll need to buff your application to a bright shine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scutmonkeyy,

I know a guy that was a DO who interviewed at my program a couple of years ago. He goes to the DO program that's in the same town as my allopathic residency. Anyway, he interviewed at several allopathic training programs around the US, but unfortunately didn't match at any. He ended up taking an osteopathic surgical residency position. From talking to my residency director, who attends several program director meetings each year, that there is still a stigma regarding the DO programs, and that most programs don't really plan on filling their spots with DO's. In fact, many of them end up ranking FMG's above them in the match and the scramble. I am not sure if that is true in all programs, but it is something to keep in mind. I guess that a lot of them "don't want to be the first program around" to start taking DO's, for better or worse.

I am not too sure that a Step I 203 is really going to knock anyone's socks off. It sounds like you do have a lot of other good things in your vita, though. I would focus on really rocking the Step 2--you should have time to study hard for it now before interview season. However, in order to have a better chance, you may want to get it done before the applications go out so that they can see your score when they decide to interview you or not. When it comes to the interview, I think that programs look for a solid vita and people that are personable, show a good work ethic, and seem like they will fit in well with the other residents.

Good luck to you.

thank you for your advice!
could you give me an idea which specific programs (names), preferably west-coast and university-based, might be within my reach and I should be applying to? UCI? UCDavis? Loma Lina?

What kind of scores are needed to getinto a good residency program??? LIke 235 is that ok??? I have no idea! (IMG) Of course you need more, but would be interesting to know!