Getting into Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc44ever

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does a schools name affect your chances of getting into Harvard Medical (HMS)? For example, an undergraduate has these 5 schools to choose from: Emory, Washington&Lee, Fordham, Stony Brook, and Geneseo. Does the applicant have the same chance of getting into HMS from any one of these schools or will Emory and W&L offer the greatest chances? Also, does Harvard look solely at GPA, MCAT, research to decide your acceptance or does any other factors/confounding variable(s) play a part in this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh look its one of these threads again

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to Emory. But regardless of where you go, you have to be exceptional to get in. Good luck!

Rule of thumb is, if you have to ask, you're not going to get into HMS.

I just made that rule up but you do have to be quite extraordinary.

Getting into HMS doesn't guarantee success in life either. If you look at the Doctor's Diaries series who follow these HMS graduates, all of them were divorced 10 years out and one of them was struggling to find a job.

How much does a schools name affect your chances of getting into Harvard Medical (HMS)? For example, an undergraduate has these 5 schools to choose from: Emory, Washington&Lee, Fordham, Stony Brook, and Geneseo. Does the applicant have the same chance of getting into HMS from any one of these schools or will Emory and W&L offer the greatest chances? Also, does Harvard look solely at GPA, MCAT, research to decide your acceptance or does any other factors/confounding variable(s) play a part in this decision?

They don't look solely at your GPA, MCAT, and research. No school does that. However, based on the MSAR for last year the average GPA and MCAT was a 3.9 and a 36, so don't underestimate their importance. The high numbers are a result of the competition (almost 6,000 applied last year) not because they NEED students with high numbers. With so many applicants (and only ~160 spots) they need a way to eliminate a good chunk of the pool since they only interview ~800. Other factors such as ECs, personal factors (can you effectively communicate, are you arrogant, etc...) are important during interviews. Someone with a 4.0 and a 45 who is arrogant during the interview and makes it known that he/she is only in it for the $$$ will be rejected (or waitlisted if they're lucky).

Rule of thumb is, if you have to ask, you're not going to get into HMS.

I just made that rule up but you do have to be quite extraordinary.

:thumbup:

I mean, I'm relatively new to the boards and every day there are like five different threads asking "WHICH UG SCHOOL IS THE BEST FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL? I WANNA BE A PEDS NEUROSURGEON..." or... "I HAVE A 2.71, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES AT HOPKINS?"

I go to Harvard Med.

Here's the deal: during the interview, have pepperoni in your teeth. Ignore me at your peril.

Here was my interview:

Harvard: So why do you want to come here?

Me: I want to be a doctor. I want to help people.

Harvard: What's in your teeth?

Me: Pepperoni. Why?

Harvard: Nevermind. You're in.

I go to Harvard Med.

Here's the deal: during the interview, have pepperoni in your teeth. Ignore me at your peril.

Here was my interview:

Have they changed the requirement from spinach to pepperoni. ****! My interview is tomorrow, anyone know any 24 hour supermarkets?

I WANNA BE A PEDS NEUROSURGEON..."

I know a peds neurosurgeon. His 7 year old son has to make an appointment to see him on the weekends. I would never want that kind of lifestyle.

I know a peds neurosurgeon. His 7 year old son has to make an appointment to see him on the weekends. I would never want that kind of lifestyle.

I've heard NSG is just a horrible lifestyle overall. I'm sure it's a really interesting and rewarding field, but it just seems like it's so much more of a life commitment even beyond the tortures of residency and fellowship :scared:

BTW: without actually attending, I would contend that GPA and MCAT have almost NOTHING to do with getting into Harvard or one of those other top schools. When their average numbers are something like 3.9/36, it's not because they are focused on the numbers--truthfully, they could've accepted another 400 students with those same stats, because even if there's only a few hundred students each year with those stats, places like Harvard can pick from any of those students. So simply hitting those average numbers far from entitles you to anything--in order to be one of the ~160 they choose, my impression is that you have to have something in your application that is truly unique, in addition to having absolutely cream-of-the-crop numbers.

In sum, there is no handy formula for getting into Harvard. Just go where you want for undergrad, study hard, and do what interests you--if that doesn't add up to a Harvard acceptance, there are over a hundred other US med schools that are perfectly capable of giving you an excellent education.

BTW: without actually attending, I would contend that GPA and MCAT have almost NOTHING to do with getting into Harvard or one of those other top schools. When their average numbers are something like 3.9/36, it's not because they are focused on the numbers--truthfully, they could've accepted another 400 students with those same stats, because even if there's only a few hundred students each year with those stats, places like Harvard can pick from any of those students. So simply hitting those average numbers far from entitles you to anything--in order to be one of the ~160 they choose, my impression is that you have to have something in your application that is truly unique, in addition to having absolutely cream-of-the-crop numbers.

In sum, there is no handy formula for getting into Harvard. Just go where you want for undergrad, study hard, and do what interests you--if that doesn't add up to a Harvard acceptance, there are over a hundred other US med schools that are perfectly capable of giving you an excellent education.

Interesting logic.

If you ever get into the bridge-building business, would you be so kind as to forward me the list of bridges you design so I can protect my family from death?

Interesting logic.

If you ever get into the bridge-building business, would you be so kind as to forward me the list of bridges you design so I can protect my family from death?

OK, clearly I didn't word my response very well.

What I meant is that they have the choice between people with ungodly stats and outstanding ECs, people with ungodly stats and only very good ECs, and people with only very good stats and outstanding ECs. Guess who gets in? When you're in that kind of applicant pool, the high stats are really more of a requirement than something that really sets you apart--so when it comes down to making the final acceptance decisions, the stats probably play a much smaller role in their decision because EVERYONE that they're considering at that point has great stats.

In short, the answer to the OP's question of whether Harvard looks solely at GPA/MCAT/research is no.

If I'm still not being clear... I chalk it up to being up for way too long and needing to go to bed.

Besides what's so great about Harvard anyways? :laugh:

Last edited:
In all honesty, at the end of the day, you really are in charge of how great of a doctor/person/humanitarian/son/parent you are and will become. The school wont make you any better, and fantastic board exam scores and extracurriculars have been achieved in every single medical school by at least one person. If they did it, who says you cant? Just my two cents ;)

interesting logic.

If you ever get into the bridge-building business, would you be so kind as to forward me the list of bridges you design so i can protect my family from death?

lmfao.

I go to Harvard Med.

Here was my interview:

This is the most ******ed, funny thing I've read in a while. Thank you for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.