Getting into Health Management and Policy programs (MPH/MHA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverinegirl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently going to be a second year MSW student at the University of Ann Arbor. I have a 3.88 GPA and also went to U of M for undergrad as well graduating with a 3.61 GPA. I graduated from college in 2015 and went straight to grad school. I want to get my second masters in health management and policy. However, I'm afraid I won't get in anywhere because of my GRE scores. I took it a few days ago and got 152 V and 145 Q. I'm thinking of retaking my Gre to see if math will improve but I have little hope that a huge difference will happen. I've emailed the schools I want to apply to and none discouraged me from applying and said they take a really holistic approach but I feel like they are just being nice. I feel like my math score is my only weak point and other application parts are strong but I don't know how important the GRE is. I'm reluctant to take it again because I don't think it'll make a difference but I'm also scared to apply and get rejected everywhere. I was hoping you guys could see my stats and the schools I want to apply to and tell me what you think. I would appreciate it so much!

Schools I want to apply to (health management and policy):

University of Michigan
Columbia
NYU
University of Illinois Chicago
Ohio State
Georgetown
Boston University
Yale

My stats/info:

Undergrad GPA: 3.61, university honors and James B. Angell Scholar
Grad GPA (#1 social work program in the country): 3.88
Two internships: one at a nonprofit organization in Ann Arbor working in a domestic violence prevention program:
Co facilitated group interventions with men who have been charged with domestic violence
- Utilized cognitive behavior therapy and motivational interviewing to aid participants to recognize thought processes that contribute to violent behavior
-Increased knowledge about domestic violence
- Took the lead in updating part of the domestic violence curriculum for ADA program
-Mentored new interns and assisted them in improving their facilitation skills
- Learned how to do substance abuse assessments and genogram mapping
-Engaged in critical thinking to formulate feedback that was conscious of men's epistemic privilege
- Worked on my facilitation skills and interpersonal skills
- Created orientation packets and filed paperwork
- Attended staff and supervision meetings where I assessed my progress with other facilitators and learned areas of improvement

Another internship is at Beaumont Hospital, the second best hospital in Michigan. In this internship, I work on the Mother/Baby unit doing the following:
Accurately score postpartum depression/anxiety risk screens.
• Assesse the patient on how they are feeling currently, how they have coped throughout pregnancy, and any history of depression or anxiety.
• Provide psycho-education to patients on signs, symptoms and risk factors for postpartum depression/anxiety.
• Discuss the resources available should the patient experience difficulties post discharge.
• Contact patients through follow-up calls and through co-facilitating a postpartum adjustment support group.
• Helped patients adjust to life postpartum through communicating empathetically during hospital visits, follow-up calls, face-to-face meetings, group support, and resource referral.

Along with these internships, I have administrative experience as a receptionist a waxing salon. I've heard from people that administrative experience is a plus and I have volunteer experience at a nursing home where I had a lot of patient contact and worked with various healthcare professionals. I also worked at a couple daycare centers. I am sure I can write an excellent personal statement and get great LORS from grad school professors.

Again, my weakness is my GRE scores, 152 V, 145 Q. What do you guys think? Can I get into any of the schools I listed with my stats or should I not bother applying and retake the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

There are definitely some schools that waive their GRE requirement for people who already have Masters degrees. I know Colorado SPH is one of them (for MPH, not sure about MHA); I'm not sure if any of the schools already on your list do. As for your chance of admittance with your current GRE scores, I have no idea. It seems like you've picked out some very competitive schools and might want to add a safety or two on your list.

I have applied to the UM MHSA program as well. Was looking at these threads and wondered if you had applied and heard anything. You do have a masters in social work that would work to your advantage. I have a masters in applied psychology as well so we are taking a similar track:) Good luck!
Hi everyone. I'm currently going to be a second year MSW student at the University of Ann Arbor. I have a 3.88 GPA and also went to U of M for undergrad as well graduating with a 3.61 GPA. I graduated from college in 2015 and went straight to grad school. I want to get my second masters in health management and policy. However, I'm afraid I won't get in anywhere because of my GRE scores. I took it a few days ago and got 152 V and 145 Q. I'm thinking of retaking my Gre to see if math will improve but I have little hope that a huge difference will happen. I've emailed the schools I want to apply to and none discouraged me from applying and said they take a really holistic approach but I feel like they are just being nice. I feel like my math score is my only weak point and other application parts are strong but I don't know how important the GRE is. I'm reluctant to take it again because I don't think it'll make a difference but I'm also scared to apply and get rejected everywhere. I was hoping you guys could see my stats and the schools I want to apply to and tell me what you think. I would appreciate it so much!

University of Michigan
Columbia
NYU
Ohio State
Georgetown
Boston University
Yale

My stats/info:

Two internships: one at a nonprofit organization in Ann Arbor working in a domestic violence prevention program:
Co facilitated group interventions with men who have been charged with domestic violence
- Utilized cognitive behavior therapy and motivational interviewing to aid participants to recognize thought processes that contribute to violent behavior
- Took the lead in updating part of the domestic violence curriculum for ADA program
-Engaged in critical thinking to formulate feedback that was conscious of men's epistemic privilege
- Attended staff and supervision meetings where I assessed my progress with other facilitators and learned areas of improvement

Another internship is at Beaumont Hospital, the second best hospital in Michigan. In this internship, I work on the Mother/Baby unit doing the following:
• Assesse the patient on how they are feeling currently, how they have coped throughout pregnancy, and any history of depression or anxiety.
• Provide psycho-education to patients on signs, symptoms and risk factors for postpartum depression/anxiety.
• Discuss the resources available should the patient experience difficulties post discharge.
• Contact patients through follow-up calls and through co-facilitating a postpartum adjustment support group.
• Helped patients adjust to life postpartum through communicating empathetically during hospital visits, follow-up calls, face-to-face meetings, group support, and resource referral.

Along with these internships, I have administrative experience as a receptionist a waxing salon. I've heard from people that administrative experience is a plus and I have volunteer experience at a nursing home where I had a lot of patient contact and worked with various healthcare professionals. I also worked at a couple daycare centers. I am sure I can write an excellent personal statement and get great LORS from grad school professors.

Again, my weakness is my GRE scores, 152 V, 145 Q. What do you guys think? Can I get into any of the schools I listed with my stats or should I not bother applying and retake the exam?[/QUOTE

University of Michigan
Columbia
NYU
Ohio State
Georgetown
Boston University
Yale

My stats/info:

Again, my weakness is my GRE scores, 152 V, 145 Q. What do you guys think? Can I get into any of the schools I listed with my stats or should I not bother applying and retake the exam?