Getting into med school, the SDN way!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 1moreshot birdy, Dec 2, 2002.

1. 1moreshot birdy

1moreshot birdy Membership Revoked
    Removed

After reading what must be thousands of posts here I realize that I have gone about getting into med school in an entirely faulty manner. Reading the words of such senior (or even higher!!!) members as street_philosopher, woofie, tweetiebird, and a barrage of other noteworthy authors has led me to a deeper understanding of what it takes to secure an acceptance to a medical school. Read below for the various points and let me know what you think!

1. Select a forum littered with members so ignorant of medical school curricula and so underqualified to become doctors that it makes the prospect of having children, who could one day be treated by said doctors, frightening.

2. Make up a name that matches my personality as an SDNer. Therefore, it must be asinine, make reference to my past failures and rejections, and summon the image of a "cuuute" animal or cartoon character, all at once!

3. Whoo, that was hard work! Now take a break to marvel at the miracle behind how the rest of the people on this forum made it out of the womb.

4. Back to work, remember, we're getting into med school here! Next, we have to pick out the only decent medical school candidates between us and deify them, as our connections to them will not only increase our chances of getting into medical school, they will do all but assure it.

5. Time to get our status up, we're real premeds now! Our uneducated advice is being solicited by people just like us, really smart SNDers! Begin to make pointless posts to threads. But remember, and this is important, whenever you come upon a post your pea brain is too underevolved to comprehend it is not because the poster's cognitive abilities far exceed your own, it is because they are pompous. Yes, that's it, they're pompous, and smelly. Yeah, and stupid too, so band together with the rest of the SDN community and heap anathema on said pompous, smelly, stupid poster who had the audacity to pose a question using words that forced us to open up dictionary.com. A key point is that here on these Forums, the ignorant, like us, rule, and therefore nobody may so much as meander around here unless they agree to our policies, which of course, are ignorant.

6. This is the last step, hooray! You've come a long way from being an applicant of average intelligence with a decent idea of what it takes to get into med school. As an SDNer you learned to put all that aside and embrace our collective greatest asset, our foolishness! What's this? Harvard Medical School has accepted you, without so much as an interview you say? No way, me too! And the same for all other SDN applicants, many of whom were accepted without even applying!

THANK YOU SDN!!!!!!!!

I once saw a one eyed, one armed, one eared, no tailed, crippled kitten trying to drink out of a milk bowl with a half slit tongue. It was the saddest sight I ever saw, till I came on this site, that is.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. isidella

7+ Year Member

If you hate SDN so much, why bother posting such a long commentary, you ass.

4. is it troll season or is it me? there just seems to be an influx of bitter trolls at this time, oh well, thanks for the compliment, birdy!

u saw, u registered, and u posted! :eek: i hereby applaude u! :D :rolleyes:

5. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    don't feed the trolls.

6. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

immediatespring, you are 4 posts away from being l33t!

7. SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Longhorn, is that you back for more?:p

Seriously though, buddy, if we suck that bad, then don't waste your time with us.:rolleyes:

8. l33t! ? is this greek?

3 posts away! ;) but seriuosly what does that mean?

9. whyadoctor?

whyadoctor? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i thought it was funny. well said, 1moreshot birdy.

10. ooh, I have a few to add to the brilliant poster's list:

1)spend precious hours of the day flogging members of SDN while most of the said members of SDN are going to class (some of us are actually in med school, believe it or not), actually going on med school interviews, dating, etc. yeah, sounds like a great way to improve your application.

2)get worked up over someone having a cartoon character name and smiley faces while there is all kinds of blooodshed in Israel and children are not safe at school in this country. Wow, what a great perspective on the grand scheme of life, can I donate my spot in med school to you?

3)refuse to accept that because the admissions process is a bit of a crapshoot that "underqualified" posters with average stats like Tweety may get in over people like you even if you have higher stats. yes, it happens, and your pre-med advisor will tell you the same thing, so no use pretending otherwise. such is life and either you want to be a doctor enough to try again if you have to or you do not.

4)better yet, call up the admissions offices and tell them not to accept anyone from SDN b/c they are all stupid and underqualified. Since the adcoms care SO much about SDN this should really help. And, if you think people on here are fake, I suggest you call up Tufts and they will tell you whether or not that is true for one person at least (me).

11. Pickle Salt

Pickle Salt *curtsies*
    7+ Year Member

birdy,

you silly, stupid ass. why flog the SDN dolphins when you yourself wasted your precious time reading 'thousands' of posts?

and oh for the love of everything that is unholy, i dare not think of how many times you perused dictionary.com in order to write your inane drivel.

get a life, become sexually un-frustrated, and return to us with a sparkle in your eye and with arms widely opened, young rogue.

peace, love, and good british music,
    picklesalt

12. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Who wants to bet that this clown would never have the sack to say any of this to a real person? Once again the internet emboldens a tool (or is he a stool, I can't tell.)

13. Dr Chooch

Dr Chooch will row for toast
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does someone need a little flogging? ;)

14. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't worry about this troll. Birdy here is just jealous because after reading "thousands" of posts here on SDN, birdy realizes that he lacks the intelligence for medical school.

15. 1moreshot birdy

1moreshot birdy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Katie, I actually hesitate to post this response to you, mostly for the same reason I don't step on ants when I walk about; that is, you're helpless. I will answer your less than polite post point by point.

1)It may take you "precious hours" to type up half a page of satire, and thats ok, everyone is different. It took me less than 20 minutes, most of them spent laughing. As for the rest of your assault I've already been accepted to med school, I won't say which but it's top 5 (for what thats worth). I don't have much work left here, most of my classes are done, I just got published, and I spend most of my time as a TA or working out (which is where my girl comes in, sometimes at least :love:)

2) I get "worked up" about the stuff on here rather than global politics because political problems can be solved in a simple manner, compared to the mass ignorance plaguing this site. If the Arabs want to talk all sorts of **** about kicking Israel out, let 'em put their money where their mouth is, which won't happen because they are pusses. So, they should shut up. Here's a question, what is an Israeli settler? What does settler represent in this case? Is it that there was vacant land and they just "settled" on it? Sorry, but no. If they don't like their kids dying stay off other peoples land, and stop trying to steal it. And don't you dare give me that God's chosen people crap.

3)Already taken care of.

4) That is not my intention, and it worries me that someone who will one day be a doctor cannot see that. My posting was to serve as a warning to those too heavily dependent on the opinions of the unqualified. If you are too insecure to see that, and feel that my warning to selectively choose one's advice is actually some guise for an attack on your flaws, I pity you. Tsk, tsk.

16. Hello bitter and cynical troll,
    If you feel this way, why do you waste your time reading the posts and judging?

17. TeinVI

TeinVI Membership Revoked
    Removed

[​IMG]

18. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

rofl

19. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    tein 6 rules :laugh:

20. SouthernGirl

7+ Year Member

Hey DW, about your signature...how are you "sort of" accepted to a school? :confused:

I :love: Tein VI!!!

21. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am in the danger of becoming a Tein VI fan.

22. kstew187

kstew187 Junior Member

First, why the use of the word troll all the time.

Second, the fact that that the guy doesn't like the site doesn't mean that everyone should jump all over him, that's why it's a forum. Birdy, you had me until your second post, where you "deify" yourself.
    . C'mon man, you become the same people you try to criticize. Then there's the talk about politics, where you really go downhill. Stick to the first post. I may not agree with it all, but there are some things that you satarize well.

deez nuts

23. SouthernGirl

7+ Year Member

Honey, Tein 4 was banned long ago...we're up to reincarnation #6 ;)

24. Southern Girl,

Sorry, by the time I realized that I had it transposed and went to edit, you beat me to it. Thanks for pointing it out. Isn't Tein VI as different from Tein IV as chalk and cheese?

25. whyadoctor?

whyadoctor? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

birdy,

shouldn't have responded to katie. change your name and try again.

26. DW

Medical Student
    gotta pass a physical and security clearance :D

27. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

Who can forget the immortal words...birdy take note of the teachings of master TeinII, the wise sage of shiet.

"EAT SHIET AND DIE!!!"

-TeinII

:laugh:

28. Dr Chooch

Dr Chooch will row for toast
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't get you. Are you really that bitter that not everyone else in the world is as smart as (you think) you are? You will be just the kind of doctor that people hate, one who thinks they are above everyone else, doctors and patients alike, and won't listen to any of the "ignorant" opinions of anyone with half the brain you think you have. Remember that whenever you make your first ignorant diagnosis that costs someone their life...remember it happened just because it was in fact YOU who was too ignorant to take heed of any of the "ignorant" advice or opinions of your peers. I don't care how effing with it you think you are, you are a fool and I pity YOU.

29. TeinVI

Removed

i remember sayin that, but don't remember who i said it to. was it u?

30. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

Yeah I called you a penis but it was pretty funny at the time. I think you were having a bad day or something.

31. TeinVI

Removed

oh hahaha. did i give you the ass clown award too? newayz...no point in being bitter about it now

32. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

tein,

with all your fans, you will pretty soon be like this guy

Attached Files:

33. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

No that's my self-imposed title and will only be removed if Loyola or NW offers me an interview. :cool:

and no I'm not bitter, I got a big laugh out of the whole fracass. :)

In fact I'm itching for another flame war but I haven't found a suitable troll yet...

34. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

Good luck with loyola explosivo.

35. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

l33t = leet = elite

hax0r speak r0x, git wit it n3wb1

=)

36. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I hope you have a nice day as well! :) :) :)

37. isidella

7+ Year Member

Hannibal only eats the rude.

38. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi :)

(just wanted to say that before this thread gets closed, its titled changed and the OP gets banned :laugh: )

39. uhm... okay but u just confused me more, but thanks! :)

40. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh WHY do I always miss the good troll threads? ;)

Seriously, someone PM me whenever one of these a$$wipes shows up. I haven't laughed so hard all day. :)

41. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go to the Lounge! There's a ripe one posting on the "moderators" thread. But hurry up before he gets himself banned!

:laugh:

42. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

Look at these trolls come at me. I must be doing something right.

43. mass51

mass51 Member
    7+ Year Member

(which is where my girl comes in, sometimes at least :love

poor girl ...

44. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that the OP would be VERY surprised to find out who some of the people that actually take the time to respond to posts are...

45. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

what do you mean?

46. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

The OP is not worth thinking about or responding to.

47. DW

Medical Student
    but he does draw out more funny tein pics :laugh:

48. well, whyadoctor?, i'm so glad that you have been "following" my posts and failing miserably to make an inside joke with your "comrades" about it. this board is becoming just a little too creepy for me, who the hell needs to be stalked just for making a few remarks? and who the hell has time to stalk others and go through their whole message history? and I can not believe the person who made the judgement that this guy is smarter than me just because he has a "top 5" acceptance (BTW, it should be pretty easy for people to find you if you are telling the truth if they wish b/c JHU and Wash U are the only top 5 schools to have issued acceptances at this point, nice try though!) and calls people "helpless". ok, if you had met both the OP and myself and decided that he was much brighter than me, I can buy that, there are many people out there way smarter than I am. Also, I'd like to say that I did not make a statement regarding the Israel/Palestine situation that favored either side; just remarked that there is a lot of violence. All I was trying to say was that there are more important things going on in the world to get upset about than Tweety being goofy on a message board, which, in spite of my sub-par IQ, is kind of hard to argue with.

OK, I actually would like to thank the OP for making me realize that I do need to spend less time on here. Over the past months I honestly can say that I've learned to become more comfortable with myself. The OP has not dealt me a terrible blow with the "facts" about his research, sig. other, etc., b/c I know that I am a fine person without publications and a current bf. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing my social life pick up some more, but I know that my average MCAT scores and current lack of a sig. other don't make me some kind of defective or "helpless" human being. If people on here wish to believe those things based on one anonymous (i mean, think about it, you don't know this guy or anyone else on here, he could be some high schooler in rural North Dakota) poster or a stupid argument I had with bobmarley on here months ago, that is totally your choice. It's too bad that people feel the need to bash others to make themselves feel better, but I can make the choice that I should have made earlier to NOT participate in the BS.

49. birdysback

birdysback Membership Revoked
    Removed

I am amused that my acct was inactivated, really. At first I thought it was sad that someone would be banned for saying something negative about this site, then I thought it was sad that the admins couldn't see the point behind my post. The point is that few of us here, myself included, are really worthy of guiding anyone's decisions as far as med school goes. To many questions we answer assuredly, yet our responses are mere conjecture. What is the best volunteering activity to do, or the best reason for a low GPA or MCAT score? I don't know, but apparently, 1000's of SDNers do. Beware of the advice you recieve here, just because these people are premeds, it doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

And to clarify, I did not take a stance on the political issue discussed earlier, as the example was used to illustrate how simply the problem could be solved, and hopefully will be.

Finally, Katie, I did not mean to offend you. Ease up. And haven't you forgotten the EDP when trying to figure out what school I'm going to?

50. TeinVI

Removed

of course not all premeds know everything about everything. hell, not even the friggin premed advisors at a lot of the colleges don't know jack about what they're talkin bout. i think people ask questions on this forum (that's what a forum is for btw isn't it?) b/c as fellow premeds currently underoing or having been through thte applicaiton process, they may (or may not of course) have an insight and advice about certain questions. it's up to you in terms of how seriously you want to heed that advice, but i don't think you can criticize other people for simply wanting to help others with questions to the best of their knowledge/abilities.

51. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think Tein hit the nail on the head. The SDN forums are exactly that, a forum, a public meeting place for open discussion or
    a medium of open discussion for voicing ideas. These forums are not filled with experts on how to gain entrance to medical school and I think that anyone who reads the advice of someone else here understands that.

We all have one thing in common, we are all interested in medical school and the application process. Some of us here are re-applicants and we may have a little more insight to how things are with applying to medical school, but maybe not. We may be able to help others not make the same mistakes we did the first time around, or we can guide people in similar positions on how to go about improving one's application.

Since these forums are frequented by a diverse group of people from all around the US, ideas and thoughts about the application process are diverse and help all of us out with seeing the bigger picture and helping us understand generally how things work, and what should and should not be done when it comes to applying. We all get invited to a diverse group of schools, some of us to the same schools. By sharing our experiences and thoughts about those schools, others gain invaluable insight that would not be available if these forums did not exist. I think that these forums have helped many people get into medical school because of that, and it will surely help many more people get in. If people feel that they were able to get in without the assitance of these forums, then fine, good for you, but it makes no sense for people to be critical of those who are getting assistance from SDN.

Besides how can anyone who claims to have read "thousands" of SDN posts not pick up on an ounce of advice? If there are people here like birdy who feel that SDN is filled with people who know nothing about getting into medical school, then get the hell away from here, and ask yourself "Why do I keep coming back?"