getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neo3777

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes. im that kid thats freaking out that my life is over. and yes i do follow the general story of having a dad whose a doctor, and having that life of medicine being drilled in your head at a young age. but i decided on my own that i wanted to do medicine. however since ive been in college ive sincerely sucked at doing chemistry *both gen chem and orgo* i got 2.7 for two semesters in orgo and a 3.0 and 2.7 for gen chem's two semesters. :eek:

am i seriously screwed for med schooL?

im a rising junior in college and "plan" to take the mcats in april.
am i wasting my time?

i know i could take a couple years off. i love doing research and have been doing that for the last three summers at really good institutions. would it make sense to do research after i graduate for a year or two and then try to reapply. i really want to go into medicine as a clinician/researcher. should i not take the mcats this coming spring? is it the right thing to do to still try to apply when i did so poorly in chemistry for entrance into medical school right out of college? :confused:

please, please if anyone has any kind of advice let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing for you to do is to study chemistry hard and do really well on the MCAT - show the ADCOMs that while you did poorly in your chem classes, you perservered and ended up learning it well. I dont think that years and years of research will make up for poor grades - research is way over-rated by the premed community; I dont know of any medical schools that require research experience. Good luck!

Does 2.7 come out to a B-? I don't think that's too bad. How's your overall gpa? If you've been getting mostly A's and high B's in all you other bcpm courses, then I htink you're okay.

The low grades in chem may only hinder you if it is an indication that you will have problems with the chem part on the mcats. If that's so, then maybe a prep course could help. I honestly don't see why you need to take a couple of years off after you graduate if you have a strong gpa overall and bcpm, strong EC's and a good mcat score (at least 30).

If you still feel bad about the low chem grades, you could take extra upper div bio courses to make up for it. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
im really new to this

whats bcpm

thanks for those who replied so far! :luck:

BCMP GPA is the separate GPA of classes you've taken in B-iology, C-hemistry, M-athematics and P-hysics.