Getting into Mid-tier Internal Medicine Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillnevergiveup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it take to get into the mid tier, university hospital level, ACGME internal medicine programs?

1. Does the DO school you go to matter much provided you have excellent Step 1 scores?
2. Is research a must? If there is little or no research opportunity near the school, how one might acquire this experience? Is doing a 3 month summer research between your 1st and 2nd year enough to count as "research"?
3. What other criteria must be met for favorable outcome? How much does the hospital you do rotation in your 3rd and 4th year matter? I can't control where I rotate in my 3rd year, but with enough audition rotations in your 4th year, is it doable to cover possible deficiencies in the 3rd year?

I ask because the school I go to doesn't have the best rotation sites and is fairly new. I'm just trying to gauge if there is any realistic chance of me matching in mid-tier ACGME IM programs.

Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very new to all this but from I heard it's very very possible to match mid tier IM as a DO student.

I'm very new to all this but from I heard it's very very possible to match mid tier IM as a DO student.
Good usmle scores, either 230+ on both or big jump on step 2, solid letters from MD docs, honor most of m3m4, an AI at an allo program and research would all help

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the thread "IM Match List" on the internal medicine subforum and you'll see many DO's who interviewed at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State and the sort. IDK if these programs are mid or top tier.

And we are talking Mayo Rochester and the Cleveland Clinic.

I think KCU had someone match IM at Northshore University of Chicago this year.

All of these DO student's had somewhere in the range of 250 for their board scores.

Check out the thread "IM Match List" on the internal medicine subforum and you'll see many DO's who interviewed at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State and the sort. IDK if these programs are mid or top tier.

All of these DO student's had somewhere in the range of 250 for their board scores.
Northshore ≠ U Chicago. I used to volunteer at that hospital and I think U Chicago has some affiliation to it, but it's in the suburbs a decent ways away from where U Chicago is. Not sure how competitive it'd still be considered since it's not at their teaching hospital. If someone more informed than I has an answer, I'd appreciate it!

Northshore ≠ U Chicago. I used to volunteer at that hospital and I think U Chicago has some affiliation to it, but it's in the suburbs a decent ways away from where U Chicago is. Not sure how competitive it'd still be considered since it's not at their teaching hospital. If someone more informed than I has an answer, I'd appreciate it!

Oh yeah I know that northeshore does not equal U of Chicago haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Good usmle scores, either 230+ on both or big jump on step 2, solid letters from MD docs, honor most of m3m4, an AI at an allo program and research would all help

How might I go around getting some research experience if there are no research centers close by?

CCF isn't a very prestigious residency. In fact, it's probably low-mid tier for general IM residency. Likewise, Northshore is basically a community program with the UofC name to attract patients (since UofC is a big deal in Chicago). Interviewing at Mayo Rochester sounds impressive, but go through the roster, you'll see it's mostly top 20s and/or MD-PhDs. It is not a DO friendly residency even if they do interview a handful for w/e reason.

CCF isn't a very prestigious residency. In fact, it's probably low-mid tier for general IM residency. Likewise, Northshore is basically a community program with the UofC name to attract patients (since UofC is a big deal in Chicago). Interviewing at Mayo Rochester sounds impressive, but go through the roster, you'll see it's mostly top 20s and/or MD-PhDs. It is not a DO friendly residency even if they do interview a handful for w/e reason.

Yep am aware def aware of that. CCF is technically a community program and isn't to level of IM at UW, MGH, BWH, UCSF.

What's funny is that many DO match lists still put "IM - University of Chicago" which is supposed to be north shore.

Someone interviewed at Mayo but did not match there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep am aware def aware of that. CCF is technically a community program and isn't to level of IM at UW, MGH, BWH, UCSF.

It's not even better than Loyola, UIC, or Rush, all of which are a stretch for most DOs.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Not really. They want to see those board scores.

2. It really helps. They want to see specialty relevant publications more than "experience".

3. As with any competitive field, the more programs see your face, the better. If you shine at your auditions, it's all gravy.