Getting into military OMFS residency right after dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoeAdeer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a HPSP participant , is it possible to get accepted into military OMFS residency straight out of dental school? If so, is it true that as long as you don't take the 20k sign-on bonus, your HPSP payback years and OMFS residency payback years would be taken care of simultaneously?

For example, suppose you do a 4-year HPSP and get accepted into a military OMFS residency. Is the following payback timeline accurate?

4 years OMFS residency -> 4 years payback for HPSP and OMFS
Total time spent in the military as an active duty officer: 8 years?

Also, do you get paid as an OMFS resident in the military as someone doing HPSP? I think I saw it somewhere that if you did HPSP, then you're ineligible for pay and benefits while completing a military residency.

Members don't see this ad.

The sign on bonus has no bearing on anything.

The payback is simultaneous if you are doing it in a military facility. It is not if you do it in a civilian residency on active duty. You are paid as active duty if in a military facility or active duty in a civilian facility. You are not paid if you are doing the active duty delay program.

It is possible to be accepted but you will need to be extremely competitive.

The sign on bonus has no bearing on anything.

The payback is simultaneous if you are doing it in a military facility. It is not if you do it in a civilian residency on active duty. You are paid as active duty if in a military facility or active duty in a civilian facility. You are not paid if you are doing the active duty delayprogram.

It is possible to be accepted but you will need to be extremely competitive.
Could you tell me more about the active duty delay program? What exactly is it?

you are paid as active duty if in a military facility or active duty in a civilian facility.
So you're paid by both a civilian facility and the military if you choose to do your specialty training outside the military?
Thank you for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)

So you're paid by both a civilian facility and the military if you choose to do your specialty training outside the military?
Thank you for the reply!
Educational delay is currently not available in the Army. Defer to Navy and AF for their input.

Thank you for the reply!

You can't take both pays - you'll be military only if you're doing it as an active duty member.

Does anyone one have any information on OMFS Army residencies in terms of their accepted applicants vs applied? Similar credentials as civilians? What guidelines should be meet in order to optimize ones chances into gaining acceptance within first 2 years post graduation of dental school while serving with the army?

Thank you for the information.

Does anyone one have any information on OMFS Army residencies in terms of their accepted applicants vs applied? Similar credentials as civilians? What guidelines should be meet in order to optimize ones chances into gaining acceptance within first 2 years post graduation of dental school while serving with the army?

Thank you for the information.
Here are the Army stats from the last round of acceptances.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12022715

Specific applicant stats aren't released so can't provide that info.

Does anyone know if the NBME will be required for military OMFS applicants?

That would be a negative. The army is currently encouraging those who apply to OMS to take the NBME CBSE. Additionally, the army dental core is also recommending that the current members who were not happy with their NBDE Part 1 score, also take the exam if they are interested in OMS

Does anyone know if the NBME will be required for military OMFS applicants?
Here is the response from Army Graduate Dental Education:

One has the option of taking the NBME through AAOMS. If someone has taken Part 1 of the national boards and has received numerical score then he/she does not have to take the NBME. The National Boards as of Jan 12 are now pass/fail. However everyone applying to OMFS this year should have already taken and received a numerical grade for Part 1 of the National Boards.

The person does have an option to take it if he thinks he can get a good score.

That would be a negative. The army is currently encouraging those who apply to OMS to take the NBME CBSE. Additionally, the army dental core is also recommending that the current members who were not happy with their NBDE Part 1 score, also take the exam if they are interested in OMS

Here is the response from Army Graduate Dental Education:

One has the option of taking the NBME through AAOMS. If someone has taken Part 1 of the national boards and has received numerical score then he/she does not have to take the NBME. The National Boards as of Jan 12 are now pass/fail. However everyone applying to OMFS this year should have already taken and received a numerical grade for Part 1 of the National Boards.

The person does have an option to take it if he thinks he can get a good score.

As it is optional, do dental school adequately prepare one to score well on the NBME? Or are we talking about quite a bit of background education + outside study time?

I wonder what the policy of the Navy is on this one...

Edit: Btw, krmower, do you know if this applies to comp. dentistry as well?

Last edited:
As it is optional, does dental school adequately prepare one to score well on the NBME? Or are we talking about quite a bit of background education + outside study time?

I wonder what the policy of the Navy is on this one...

Edit: Btw, krmower, do you know if this applies to comp. dentistry as well?
My understanding is only for OMFS. However all specialty programs both in and out of the military are going to have a challenging time selecting residents if the only things they have to compare them by is P/F. Especially when some schools also use P/F for grades and some don't rank students :(

As it is optional, do dental school adequately prepare one to score well on the NBME? Or are we talking about quite a bit of background education + outside study time?

I'm studying for it right now and depending on the dental school you may attend, you will have completely different perspectives. Dental schools like Harvard, UConn, Columbia, and UPenn that have a significant amount of crossover into the medical school classes will have a significant advantage. I predict dental students from these schools will need less preparation than students from schools like mine (UoP) that really emphasize the anatomy, physio, pharmacology, and especially pathology that is relevant to the NBDE Part 1.

Dental schools teach to the NBDE's and medical schools teach to the USMLE's (NBME's are strong predictors of USMLE performance), thus it is no surprise that the AAOMS has stated that no scores from the new NBME CBSE will be made available to any medical schools. Why? Well its obvious that dental students will not do nearly as well as medical students on the NBME, since they are not being prepared for the exam.

You will need to know pathology and pharmacology like the back of your hand for the NBME CBSE exam

Last edited: